Alarmed!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

My neighbor just rebuilt his porch and added a wheelchair ramp for his wife. I know it's not my business but I was alarmed to see him burn the treated lumber in his little garden patch and till it in.

P

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I'd be alarmed too. Guess he just didn't know any better. Doubt his plants will be too happy about that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They're treating lumber with less toxic chemicals these days (some sort of citrus extract now, I think), but he might want to check before eating cucumbers from his garden this summer...

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I hate to horn in on someone elses gardening but I'm really concerned about him eating a crop that might be contaminated.I just have to figure out how to approach him and how to word it without sounding like a know-it-all.

P

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

admire his ramp.... ask him what kind of wood he used... say something about when you saw him putting it into your garden, you figured they must've come up with another way to pressure treat wood, and you're glad about that because you want to make planter boxes or something... If you can find out what he used, you might even be able to get the toxicity info on your own and know whether or not there's an issue he should know about.

I know what you mean about not wanting to seem pushy... but I'm sure he'd appreciate that you're concerned about their health, not trying to show off. :-)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

critter,
great suggestion.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.