terraniums

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Anybody remember the old fashion terraniums we used to get in the 70's. Like the pearshaped clear plastic one with a cap that you could adjust for moisture control. Would anyone know where to find one. I really would like to get one of those or something like it.

We had a big plastic one that sat on a white base about 3ft of the ground. It was so typically 70's looking, don't have it anymore though. Have you tried Ebay? They have alot of retro stuff.

Is this what your looking for? LOL! Hurry!!auction is over in 3 days!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1171352442

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 1st 9:22 PM

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I was looking for one of those too...I remember my mom had one. I did end up buying one from ebay. Unbelievable how high they go sometimes though! Mine has a clear base (not white like the one in the link above) and is pear shaped. I think I got it for $22? There's almost always one on ebay at one time or another....if it's getting too high priced just wait and check every couple of days for new ones. I've found that there's just not enough ventilation in these though...everything seems to eventually 'rot'.

If you grow the right plant they really don't need ventilation. I use terrariums for special very high humidity requiring tropicals. I have one in a glass candy jar with a lid. I had forgotten all about the plant and ignored the jar, until one day when I looked in to see what was inside, and there was my rare little choice gesneriad, still alive after what must have been at least two years without any attention. There are quite a few such plants but they are hard to find and hard to share, since they don't mail as easily as tougher plants. The best ones are low light plants that come from very humid forests of the tropics. Many gesneriads and begonias fall into this catagory.

Caribou, ME(Zone 3a)

Those are so neat! I've never seen anything like that before (a bit before my time). Are they all really that big? I'd love to have one but smaller.
C~

Caribou, ME(Zone 3a)

Holy Cow! I just found 5 of them on ebay just searching under the key word 'terrarium'. Give it a look jcf!
C~

Yes, they're really big. Used to have one back in '74, LOL! Don't know whatever happened to it. I think my mother threw it out, didn't go with her colonial motiff!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

If you're looking for something a little smaller than the one in the link, consider a clear plastic salad bar container. They fold in half, so you can plant your goodies on the bottom and fold over the lid. This is especially good for kiddos. It might be a little "rinky-dink" for what you want, though. Just an idea.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Smiln32,

You & I think alike on this; while I don't use these clear plastic hinged salad bar containers for terrariums, I use them a lot for propagation. I can seal in the moisture but since it's transparent, I can still look in & see what's doing w/out opening it up. AVs prop really well in this arrangement.

Am currently sprouting some Stapeliad seed in one of these, seems to be doing well (my first seed growing experiment), slow going, but still alive & green. Also using another to try & root a woody Hoya stem (in damp sphagnum moss).

For those you you who haven't tried these containers, pls. give it a shot -- they're GREAT!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Salad bar containers? Are you talking about the disposable containers I get baked goods in?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi JanetR,

I don't know what you buy your baked goods in (have never seen this). We're (I think we are, I definitely am) talking abt clear plastic, hinged containers used in salad bars where one can buy salads, hot foods, etc. by the pound (or a portion thereof). See you're from Ottawa (don't know if you have such salad bar delis there, I'm in NYC).

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

OK, it's probably something similar. I don't buy ready-made salads in grocery stores or delis, so I've paid no attention to the containers used.

I know we can get croissants and similar things in containers like that.

Thanks for the answer, PG.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

Hey you all, don't forget to look in the want-ads section of the newspaper, especially in the aquariam section, you can pick up some huge tanks for less than $100, people get tired of dealing with the fish, and want to unload them, cheap! Thanks, Krispi

La Mirada, CA(Zone 9b)

Garage sales are another good source for aquariums-cum-terrariums. I got a beautiful 20gal tall acrylic hex tank complete with florescent light ballast (can pop a gro-light tube right in there) and storage-cabinet base for $30. I'm still trying to figure out what to put in it, but it was a steal at that price.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.