Hubby seeking "Bunderful" beans?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello veggie folks,

For several years now, my husband and I have
been searching the stores for a somewhat elusive
(if not imagined) bean called "Bunderful".

Perhaps he remembered the name wrong from
years gone by, maybe he added or subtracted
letters, who knows, but we have been unable to
find such a creature.

Does anyone know what he might possibly be
referring to? I'm sorry, I know nothing more about
it other than the name he has given them.

Thanks for any assistance,

Karen Marie

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Can you husband provide a description of the colour, shape or flavour that he might remember? Or is this a bean he read about and wanted to try but never experienced?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wuvie, was it a dry bean by any chance?

Shoe

Don't you just love a botanical mystery?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You know me too well, Mermaid!!

*grin

Well, if it turns out to be a snap bean/string bean type o' bean, I'm wondering if we're looking for the
"FIN de BAGNOL " or "Bountiful" variety? If I said either of those with my mouth full, it would probably sound like "bunderful".

http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=604
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=337

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

As expected, you all have saved the day. Again.
It is indeed the BOUNTIFUL bean hubby was trying
to remember.

I can always count on Dave's members to know the answer
in just a short period of time.

Don'tcha just love this place??

Thank you all so much for the information as well as the websites.

(((HUGS TO ALL)))

Karen Marie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yay! Good research, Mermaid!

Wuvie, you and hubby gonna get some of those for planting this year? If so please let us know how they do and if they live up to your DH's memories.

Shoe

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Speaking of beans from the past.....When I was a kid, we raised Burpee's Stringless Green Pod. Finally I tried that old green bean again. It has a delightful meaty taste, but I wouldn't want it very often.

Indy, when you say you wouldn't want it very often, is it because the flavour is too strong for your liking or was there something else about the Stringless Green Pod that you didn't like?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Well, it is just so full flavored or full fibered I guess....once or twice a season is ok.

Perhaps an analogy would help. When a fellow worker was retiring, he brought in his special dish.....butter beans with just the right meat and seasoning. It was so delicious yet I don't really want it often.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Different strokes for different folks. Burpee's Stringless was the gold standard in the south into the 60's. It has never been rare. Grows well and is good eating. Other favorites include Contender, Giant Stringless, Tennesse Greenpod and Bountiful. These come much closer to pole bean flavor and texture than many bush beans. Bountiful and T Greenpod are flat podded beans and not everybody likes flat podded beans. Do have to pick them a little earlier but a very good bean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.