cold hardy clumping bamboo

Anderson, IN(Zone 5b)

Im in central indiana Im looking for a large/tall clumping bamboo that would grow well in this area. Im also interested in hardy bamboo seeds if anyone has any to spare.
Steve

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Only cold hardy clumping bamboos that would grow in your area are Fargesia rufa and F. nitida, however, they only get about 10-15 ft tall....

Anderson, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the reply What is the tallest Bamboo that will grow here? I suppose i can try to keep it contained. I havent done well with the one I have.
Also do you know of a reasonably priced supplier of Fargesia rufa and F. nitida Seeds prefered.... but small plants would do.
Thanks Steve

Thornton, IL

Hikaro - I've got my eye on a Fargesia murielae, do you mean it is not root hardy here? I intend to keep it in a container for a couple of years, but then maybe plant it out.

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Oops... Forgot about that one... Yeah, it should be hardy, if my info is correct.

Moondogman: One of the tallest bamboos you can grow in Indianna, ironically, is actually native to the southern half of your state and is VERY cold hardy.... It is Arundinaria gigantea, or Giant Cane, and it can get up to 20-25' tall (I saw some in Seneca, SC along the appropriately named Cane Creek that was about that high). In addition, even though it is a "runner" it spreads a LOT slower than most running bamboos, and as I said it's native to your state, so I highly doubt it would/could be considered invasive.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Green Panda and Asian Wonder sound promising.
http://www.garden.org/articles/articles.php?q=show&id=2746

Thornton, IL

Oooh, those look nice!

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

I love the 'Green Panda!' I'm gonna have to try that one out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.