Looking For Suggestions

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone,
I'm going to make a cushion for the top of my hope chest. The reason being twofold...1)My kitties in the past have scratched it up so badly that it needs covered, and 2)We have just placed the hope chest at the foot of our bed and it will now be used by our little Sheltie as a spring board to get up onto our bed. Our bed is too high for him to jump onto, but he will be able to jump onto the hope chest then onto the bed. I plan on putting gripper material under the cushion, the stuff like you use under a rug to keep it from moving, so he doesn't launch himself into outer space! LOL!

I've found some 1" think foam at Wal-Mart that looks as though it will work nicely for the filling. I'm not opposed to using plain old batting...or anything else suggested. The only idea I can come up with to make this cushion is a 6 piece pattern, with a zipper along the back long side to remove the stuffing for washing (Shelties shed a LOT!).

Anyone have any ideas that would be easier? I'm thinking just a regular "pillow case" type cushion wouldn't look right...but maybe I'm wrong. What do you all think?

I'm not a newbie sew-er but by no means am I an expert! I'd really appreciate any and all help, including suggestions of fabric to use that would hold up to little doggie feet and also easily release doggie hair.

Thanks for reading ALL of this!! LOL
Heather

This is Baxter, he's not spoiled or anything! We moved the entire bedroom around just to be able to have him jump up on the bed himself! Sheesh. Now I'm sewing for him.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!