What was your tallest amaryllis this winter?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine vary in height, but every year at least one will just keep growing up and up and up before it finally blooms.

I have a trio of bulbs (2 'Double Record', one that was marked 'Minerva' but isn't quite) that got large enough in the garden this summer to need a fairly big pot. The flower stalks from one of the bulbs of 'Double Record' got HUGE -- 37 to 38 inches from the top of the bulb, not to mention the height of the 12 inch pot, plus they were at least 9 inches across. I put the pot on the floor in the morning room, and the blooms were readily visible, coming up well above the height of the breakfast table.

Please share photos of your monster amaryllises!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This shows the height of the whole plant in its pot... it's just remarkable!
'

Thumbnail by critterologist
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking "Day of the Triffids" the way that thing is peering over the chair.

Oooooweeeeeeeeooooooo, {shudder}.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I promise it's less scary in person, LOL.... So spill, which one grew tallest for you so far this year?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The third scape on my Blossom Peacock was 36" high. The first 2 scapes were normal height. Sorry I didn't think to take a photo of it.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I remember my Dbl Record being the tallest last year, but of the ones that have bloomed so far, none are noteworthy in terms of height. My black pearl is about to bloom, yipee

So far, I have two tied for first place.

My papilio from B&B tops out at 33" from shoulder to the tips of the pods.

Thumbnail by raydio

And Supreme Garden the same. 33".

Thumbnail by raydio

Temptation.

Thumbnail by
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous blooms!

I love the picotee edge on 'Temptation'... and I'm just about swooning imagining a 3 ft. 'Blossom Peacock' scape!

Gordo that is a beautiful bloom. Have to put that on my want list!!! Lorine

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine is just starting to open, I can see the red and it has no stem at all! can I get the prize for the shortest???? I will send a picture when it opens. It is slow with the temperatures outside subzero every day. The house is not the warm sunny enviroment that lends to blooming. The paperwhites are doing ok right next to them. I came home yesterday and wondered what the smell was. My nose led me right to the pretty white flowers. DH said the kitchen smells like a funeral parlor.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, can I get the prize for the shortest??????
My upstairs is pretty cool combined with the windows and 3 weeks now of sub zero, may have contributed to the late and short bloom.
Either that or I cannot grow these things for the life of me. opps, I think that may be it!

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chick, I had one that grew like that last year... grown on from the previous year in the same conditions as all the others... I think it's just something odd that happens sometimes, probably waaay back when that flower was first forming inside the bloom. Maybe one of our experts will be able to explain why some grow very tall and others end up with hardly any stalk at all.

But yours sure is pretty -- actually, I love those huge blooms growing low like that!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Shortest bloom was my Orange Sovereign, even though the leaves were normal size.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2007 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by bsharf
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, I no longer feel totally inept (ok, I still can't spell).
It is funny how these things sometimes look so heathy and refuse to co-operate with our expectations of them. I should just be happy I got flowers out of the deal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.