Clematis Rugoochi

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I have a rugoochi that I planted last year. I'am not sure if I want it to sprawl or climb. What is your experience with clematis rugoochi? Have you ever used it as a groundcover? If you do, how wide or how big of area does it cover? Is it dense or sparse? Tell me anything else you can about its sprawling habit. Do you let it climb? If yes how do you make it climb or get it started to climb? I have alot of clematis, so I'am not new to them, but Rugoochi is the only one I have that is a nonclinger. I do not know what to expect with it. Thanks DM

(Zone 4a)

I have enjoy two of the Clematis Ragoochi [it has several spellings] for four
years.

Mine grow in partial shade, and bloom well.

Last summer, it was a shocker to content with mildew. I had to cut the plant
back to the ground. It sent up new branches in a week, and made good growth.
I must carefully watch the conditions this summner.

Later I read that Ragoochi is subject to mildew. You might want to consider this
when deciding where to plant your vine.

One of my plants grows on a 5-ft chain link fence. I carefully tuck the tendrils in
a hole so it grows up the back, then front....this works for me.

My seond Ragoochi is planted in front of a huge horizontal tree trunk, and I have
black plastic netting running from the ground (behind the plant) to the tree trunk.
Once Ragoochi gains the tree trunk it spreads right and left. It looks lovely.

Corinne

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks so much for your response Corinne! I'am especially interested in the chainlink fence planting. We just put a 4ft. chainlink around a section of our yard last summer and I would have several places on the fence to put it. How much of the fence does it cover? I was wondering if I need 2 or 1 for the fence, that is why I ask. DM

Southern, LA(Zone 8b)

Do ya'll think that in 8b, the chain link fence would get to hot and burn the clematis? I hope not, because my backyard is fenced in with chain link.

Mary

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Mary...I live in zone 8B too and find that Clematis in our warmer zones do best planted where they get morning sun and afternoon shade...the soil needs to stay moist...they tend to have burned leaves and faded flowers if subjected to our hot afternoon suns...your chainlink fence would be fine if you can find areas around it that fit those criterias
Tara..Rooguchi is known to get mildew, especially in humid climates and having it in a shady spot most likely is abetting the problems...Using Bayer anti-fungal spray for roses early and a couple more times during the season should help...an Integrifolia that you might consider instead is "Petite Faucon"....remember that Integrifolia's aren't climbers..they are sprawlers and are nice to grow 'up through' plants..they have no tendrils to grab ahold of anything...Jeanne

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Jeanne,
Just want to tell you I appreciate you sharing all of your knowledge on clematis and roses. I was a lurker for 2 years over at the gardenweb forum. I learned alot about clematis from you.

Have you seen rooguchi as a sprawler? Does it lay flat and squish other flowers? How big of area does it cover on the ground? I have mine temporarily planted in the garden until I can find its permanent home. By the way my inlaws are from North Texas. They have a peach orchard and other gardening plants I can't grow here. I ove the Texas growing weather. DM

Southern, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you so much, Jeanne, for the info!

I just love Clematis and I'm going to plant my
first babies this spring.

Mary

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

DM..a lot of pics that you'll see of 'Rooguchi' focus on the flower itself as that is the beauty of that bell form...what it does is "poof" up outta the ground and sprawl out..if you have it planted with lower growing perennials or a shrub it will sprawl through up and around into the flowers and make a beautiful combo...Here I can show you my Integrifolia "Petite Faucon" that I planted last year...so you can see it at a distance...it will get better with each year as all clematis do!!
Here it is when I first Planted it last Spring...such a wittle bitty baby!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Then late on as the vine grows longer it begins to start to sprawl..and if you have other plants around it will mingle in

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Even the seedheads are of interest..

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I also planted Integrifolia "Hakuree" and will most likely move it this Spring..I planted it in a raised bed with some roses in front of Clematis 'Proteus'..It really seems to be getting too much hot afternoon sun in the beginning of the growing season but once my other roses started filling in.(and I stayed ontop of watering it MORE!!) .it got a bit more shade in the afternoon and did alot better...having those little white twisted bells mingling around among the other colors was such an eye candy..as far as I am concerned Integrifolias when planted in the right spots can really enhance any flowerbed with their sweet dainty flowers

This message was edited Feb 7, 2007 8:12 AM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks a bunch Jeanne! DM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.