OK now what do I do?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I have never gotten this far with an amarylis. They usually do nothing, put up a weak black of a leaf and die, or they rot.
What do I do with it now?
Thanks
:)
A

Thumbnail by avmoran
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I'm not an expert on Amarylis, but on the hand of your descriptions of past failures, it sounds as if you tend to over water your bulbs.
It is very important for any kind of bulb plant that it is very well drained,
humid, but certainly not soaked because that can cause rot.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Oooh, la la. That's a beauty for sure.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

avmoran
Enjoy And congratulations! It will put up strappy leaves after the blooms finish and it is important to continue to let those grow until they turn yellow (like daffodils) and then let it rest without regular watering. I put the pots out in the summer in a partly shaded area until the fall when I bring them in and start to water them again. This is my regiment, but I think some others my have more complete directions. Patti

(Zone 1)

You enjoy that Beautiful Bloom! And, then transplant to your garden .... or, do these grow outside up North?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

You don't say anything about how this beauty is potted.

Just guessing here a bit. Ignore if you've already applied the following---

If this bulb is a pre-planted one, remove the medium (most likely pure peat or coir) from the roots. Are they growing? Are they still dormant? Take note of them. Remove any dead, dried, or bad-looking roots.

Replant the bulb in a good quality potting mix in a terra cotta pot, 8" should do for a large bulb. I usually put crocks in the bottom of the pots to help keep soil in and promote good drainage.

Water in lightly. As has been said, don't keep it soggy wet and don't water too often or too solidly at first.

Pouring on the water doesn't help and as was also pointed out, you can rot the roots and the bulb may follow. Just lightly and infrequently at first. When you looked at the roots while replanting, if there was new growth, you can water again when the top inch or so dries to the touch. If there were only old fleshy roots, wait until it is even drier to water again, and lightly the next time too.

Take it easy with the watering till the foliage starts to grow, then increase the depth of watering and frequency little by little as the new roots grow and the foliage fills out.

Give it the best light you can. Once the foliage is up a bit, you can start to fertilize it.

Good luck.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks all
I just potted them in the pot they supplied
Never thought of fertilizing them but will start
After flowers fade I will repot until It can go out in April or May
Thanks Again
Anita

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine grow in full Sun here in N.Y. outside after last frost date. They are heavy feeders so fertilize twice a month with half strength miracle grow or a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20.

Tom

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

When the flowers fade, cut off the bloom stalk (you probably want its energy to go into the bulb, not into making seeds). That's also a good time to repot if you think it may like a lighter mix, or just be careful not to overwater it. Treat it like a houseplant, and yes, put it outside this summer.

Let's see if I can find that article from the Nat'l Arboretum.... http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/AmaryllisBloom.html

We've had some discussion here on dormancy, and some people prefer to let their plants stay green year round, producing blooms whenever (sometimes twice a year). I tried to keep the leaves on mine when I dug them this fall, but most broke off or were quite damaged during the process, so I ended up doing the dormancy thing with all but a couple anyway.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.