tulips for the south

Cordele, GA

Lady Jane is up. While there are no blooms apparent yet, it is still early in the season. I am pleased that where I planted two patches of 10 bulbs, I now have a patch of 15 and a patch of 16. If she doesn't spend all her energy in reproducing rather than in blooms, I should have a sizable display in 2 or 3 more years.

The red species tulip that I bought this year is not up yet, however I did plant them late so I have hopes.

Next year I intend to try T. sylvestris and one or more of the older lily forms.

Beth

Conyers, GA(Zone 7b)

I looked up a photo of Lady Janes. Very pretty. Do you have to dig them up each year and give them cold storage to get them to bloom? I have not had any success with tulips. They bloom year one and then don't come back because we do not have enough cold weather (that's what I read somewhere). I'm too lazy to dig them up so I gave up on the idea of having tulips. Would love to find a tulip that act like daffodils in Georgia.

Cordele, GA

Lady Jane is a cultivar of T. clusiana which is reported to be a perenniel and, to bloom with out the cold dormancy. I am making a small and inexpensive trial to evaluate tulips for the south. Lady Jane was last year's lab rat. She definately returned. Now to see if she will bloom this year.

Beth

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've heard that Darwin Hybrids are the only ones that will come back for GA year after year. Check them out :)

Susan

Cordele, GA

The Darwins' have a good color range. The lily flowered are listed in Ogden's book (Ithink it is Ogden) as returning well in the south. Evidently the T. acuminata genes added more than just petal shape.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.