Has anybody grown 'Spigariello' broccoli?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is not a regular heading broccoli more like a bush. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/108945/index.html

I ordered some seeds from Franchi. Sounds tasty both the leaves and the tops. There is a good picture here: http://www.growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1110468432

Small, narrow and bushy leaves on a medium sized plant. This is the smooth leaf version. Has many small broccoli tops that will resprout when cut. It is a broccoli, with a taste between broccoli & kale. @ 70+ days to maturity. Exc taste. Often used with soups in Southern Italy though is good with pasta or as a side dish.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I grew it once, just out of curiosity. It grew very well, but I didn't know what to do with it, so I never cooked it. Looked and looked for recipes. I think it was called Soup Green in not so well translated English. Maybe I should try again. Everything in the broccoli family does well with our cool summers.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm growing Spigariello foglia riccia and Spigariello foglia liscia. We much prefer the leaf brocollos to the heading broccolis. Here is a photo of my "cabbage patch" from Dec 22nd. You can see the serrated leaf broccolo at the right center and two more sold leaf broccolo at the back left and center.

I need to take some more recent photos, although since I harvest the larger leaf sets each week, I'm not sure it will look much bushier.

Thumbnail by garden_mermaid
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the replies!

I didn't order the serrated one. Do they really taste like a broccoli kale cross? Do you get lots of little floret/heads? Insect problems? I know I am full of questions. I usually put out my broccoli under row cover early - I am thinking it would be the same for the broccolo.

-Kim

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Kim, I put a lot of work into my soil, so we have very few insect or disease problems anymore. If you are used to using row cover on your regular broccoli, I would use it on the leaf versions as well. All of the kohl crops (cruciferous veggies) need a lot of calcium, which is the mineral most deficient in today's soils.

The serrated leaf broccolo is not as sweet as the other one. Both have a broccoli flavour. I saute the leaves with olive oil and a little garlic or toss in soups, stews or casseroles. Mine haven't produced and florets yet. This could possibly be due to my continual harvesting of the leaves, or possibly the weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.