Cabbage

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Is it too late to start cabage from seed in Ark.zone 8? Are certain varieties that have shorter maturity date?

P

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I would not think so. I started Point One and Charleston Wakefield in the cold frame yesterday. You do want to plant a spring (short season variety) any of the wakefield or Golden Acre types.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have on hand Early Jersey(63 days) and All Season(maturity date?). I'm thinking of starting them under light on a heat mat.

P

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The Early jersey Wakefield should do fine. The Wisconsin All-Season probably. I think it is a midseason cabbage, but not many vendors today except Wetzel. If it does not get real hot early you should be ok.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'll save the All Season for fall crop 'cause it can get pretty hot pretty quick in my area.

P

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hey, F-dill...You ever grow any of the "savoy" cabbages?

I rec'd a freebie pack of seeds ("Large Drumhead Savoy") from Baker Creek along with my order. From Google it looks like it also goes by the name of "Perfection Drumhead Savoy". I don't think I'll plant it now because it has such a long DTM but think I might give it a try for Fall/Winter if I can find some input on the taste and growth habit.

Have any idea about this one?
Shoe.

By the way, Howdy bigred! Wishing you a good harvest on your cabbage.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, I have grown savoy cabbages, Most of them are fall cabbages. I can't say that I like them too much. They grow great, but I don't like the taste. The one that I grew ( from Hastings) was quite large (12 -15 lb heads), but I can't recall the name right now. That was a few years ago back in Virginia. It was an OP Drumhead type with a size and growth habit similar to Late Flat Dutch. Did not come close to the flavor of the Flat Dutch for me.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Never grown them, but I sure do love to eact them. I have a few seeds for them, too - waiting to hear the news on growing it!

Hey, if any of this stuff starts growing for me, I may actually want to change my name to Farmer Jan!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm growing an Italian savoy cabbage right now - Testa di Ferro from this site:
http://www.gourmetseed.com/savoy_cabbage_seed.0.html

My family loves savoy cabbage. We love the flavour, plus savor cabbage leaves are easier to use for cabbage rolls. We only eat flat leaf green cabbage as a last resort and would probably just choose a different type of leafy green altogether. It's probably a matter of the type of cabbage you grow up with.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Folks!

Will keep this all in mind. Right now I have oodles of cabbage in the garden so guess there is no hurry to plant out anymore at this point.

Shoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.