Mecardonia 'GoldFlake'.... leaves are turning black

Rehovot, Israel

Hi...

I am having a problem with my Mecardonia, over time the leaves become black and die, i have no idea what disease it is. I am not sure if it is a disease at all!
I have placed it in different environments: indoors, outdoors, hanging from the ground... etc..
I cannot seem to control this phenomenon...
If anyone has any idea or has the same problem please tell me...

Thanks
Tom.

p.s. i have replanted sections of the plant that were not infected and placed them in clean pots and working with latex gloves, so i do not think it is a sterility issue.

Thumbnail by Tom_isr
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It could be a fungus of some sort--if that's the case, there are going to be fungal spores in all sorts of places on the plant even if a section still looks healthy, so when you transplant it to the new pot, the fungus goes right along with it and will grow and eventually make your new plant have the same problem as the old one. Next time you transplant, get rid of as much of the old soil as possible, then give the roots a swish in a dilute hydrogen peroxide solution, and you may want to swish the leaves in it too, or spray them with the peroxide solution or some other antifungal. Then put it in the clean soil in the clean pot, and the problem should stop. Also be careful how much you're watering them, too much water will encourage fungal growth (and no matter how careful you are, there are often mold spores in the air, or maybe there's one or two that survive the peroxide treatment, and if you give them an overly moist environment to grow in, the problem can come right back)

It also could be just older parts of the plant dying off--if you have a lot of new growth on the top, some of the older growth underneath will tend to die off. I'm not familiar with this particular plant so I don't know how it grows, but I know I've seen this on some other perennials that I grow. If this is what's happening, you can just pull out the dead unsightly parts.

Do the leaves get spots on them first, or get sort of soggy/wilty looking as they die? That would more likely indicate fungus to me, but if they get sort of crispy and brown and dried up looking, then it could just be older foliage dying back.

Rehovot, Israel

Thanks ecrane3... i will look in to it and buy the relavant fungicides....

By the way, am i the only person who has this problem (disease?) with the Mecardonia? since i have not heard of similar symptoms from anyone else... Tom.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure if many other people on here grow it--I had never even heard of it until you posted questions about yours, and the fact that you were a bit slow to get responses to some of your questions on it tells me there aren't a lot of people who grow it.

Rehovot, Israel

Thanks ecrane3... at the moment i am assuming that maybe the plant is overwatered and that maybe it is a soil borne disease, and as a result taking the precautions to alleviate the problem. I have therefore placed the plants it clean sterile soil media and irrigating with distilled water every 3-5 days.

I don't grow the plant. It's pretty though.

Perhaps what is being described is normal? The plant looks very healthy to me.

This is what I found on line, note what it states about black leaves-
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/plants/floraso/species/7/mecaacum.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.