(ebi) Alice Ebony Browne-Cunningham

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Alice Ebony Browne-Cunningham, known within DG as ebi, joined Dave's Garden on July 12, 2003.

Singer-songwriter Alice Ebony Browne-Cunningham, 32, died on January 27th at her mother’s home in Portland, Oregon. She died from metastatic breast cancer. Ebony was born on September 25, 1974 in Watsonville, California. She attended elementary and high school in Chico, California. She worked for several years as a musician and as a nanny in San Francisco, and moved to Berlin, Germany in 1995. She recently embarked on a new career as an international tour director.

Ebony was beautiful and regal. She had an ability to connect with people, a gift for music, and was known for speaking her mind. Her last days were aided greatly by the attentive staff at Legacy Hospice. She will be missed dearly. Music and a celebration of her life took place on Saturday, February 3nd at 2:00 p.m. at the Ranuio home at 3931 SE Main St, Portland. Donations in her memory can be made to Sweet Relief, a fund for sick musicians, at [HYPERLINK@www.sweetrelief.org.]

Thumbnail by Joan
Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Thank you for posting this.

Ebi crammed an amazing amount of plants in her window boxes in her apartment in Germany.
We'd laught thinking about what she would do if she had more space.

Ebi faced her approaching death with dignity and humor.

In her last post to her gardening friends, she knew she was near the end of her life and wanted us to remember her with love and laughter.

She wrote,
"If the world laughs at me I will live for years.
I keep thinking "What a ride."

She passed away with her family and close friends at her side, holding her hands.

Rest in Peace, sweet Ebony.
We'll miss you!

Nancy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ebi my friend your time was too short but your life was so sweet.
You'll sing in my gardens and in my heart forever.
Your love, humour and her courage have set a standard we your Friends will try to live up to.
I doubt we'll make it.

Ebi's gardening skills were raw and tremendous.
Enough so that untrained she spent a time working at the Berlin Botanical Garden.
How we her gardening friends envied that gig!
She grew everything in a tiny apartment.
Out of a rickety makeshift window box her trailing vines made a dingy Berlin alleyway light up w/ color.

As a tour guide in Europe she got to travel to the best of the best Gardens in their best seasons.
As a street musician she traveled the US and Europe doing what she loved best.

What a way to spend a life.

Ric

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Ebi was a dear friend, a pal to be with to help get through those first few months ater leaving the Garden Web. There were lots of long distance calls to and from Berlin. We traveled her journey, and she ours, wandering as it did, through our hearts and lives. She will be missed by so many of us. Ebi, I'm glad I knew you. My life is richer for it.

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Remembering sweet Ebi on what would have been her 34th birthday.

I miss you, girl!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Be at Peace Ebi my Dear Friend.
Saturday morning coffee will never be the same.... then the tears in my eyes were from laughter.

Later Gator!

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Gee... 2 years.
I'm so glad I have your music.
I miss you.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Seems like a mere blink of the eye since you left us.

We your Family are still laughing at you.
You will always be remembered.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Two years...it doesn't seem that long.

Is there someplace that has her CD's for sale?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joan,
She was a soloist in the German Documentary Film 'Rosa oder Welche Farbe hat das Leben! '
And for a time you could get her CD on an independant label.
I'll see what I can find for you on the internet.

She was a young troubled soul who matured into a kind and dear young woman.
Her music was biting, raw, energetic and often, shall we say, not Family Oriented.
As she lived so did her music.... as she grew up so did her music.......it's her autobiography....

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks! I was hoping to find it on the sweet relief site, or their ebay auctions as a fundraiser, but either they don't have it or I don't know what I'm looking for.

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Joan - I'll send you a DMail with a link.

Nancy

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Joan, Did you ever get the link to her music? I think others here would like it as well.

Thanks,
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.