Game time

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It's always dangerous when I stay home from work.

What are these?

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Yeah, yeah, besides quarters.

Cercis canadensis is providing her head for scale.

And these are not elaborate cat entertainment devices, or kitty treats.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hummmmmmm. Hard to tell. Is it a Michelia figo bloom? How about a Forsythia? Shoot what blooming in Kentucky now????? If I win do I get to keep the quarters. LOL

Can I have a hint??????

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks like Felicida gatophthora to me

Resin

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

That Pink magnolia I can't think of the name of?

Resin:

So close! Only barely one kingdom off...

Star:

No; no; not much; and no. Oh, well, OK. The illustrated plant parts are not technically "a bloom" but what is left at the end of the reproductive cycle. These are not fresh by any means, but at least 10 years old. Testimony to their use as dried arrangement items. I resurrected these when browsing through the old pine cone collection.

Tropic:

No, not magnolia. Not in Magnoliaceae either.

If pressed, I'll try to take some more pictures if I can keep the "helpers" at bay.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I don't even want to think about the poor Magnolias here. That cold snap we got went and froze and killed all the blooms on the Magnolia x soulangiana that were just startign to open. I walke d past tree after tre e and abotu cried looking at hundreds of blooms half open and frozen dead just hanging there.

Wel, if resin close, I doubt I wil be able to guess. I don't know all that many tree s yet, but slowly learning. never even heard of the genus Resin mentioned.

LOL cute helpers. Raking my brain for what I use in flower arrangements that might look like that. Darn, drawing a blank. Ahhhhhhh. : )

Quoting:
never even heard of the genus Resin mentioned

Felicida, from Latin, "cat-killing", gatophthora, from Greek, gato, cat, + phthora, destroyer . . . it is an as yet unknown carnivorous plant which has evolved to prey on cats, relying on their curiosity ("curiosity killed the cat"!), cats are tempted to sniff the seed pods, which are lethally toxic to species in the genus Felis, thereby providing a fertile compost for the germinating seed . . .

:-)

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

gatophagus would work, too, I guess.
I thought they looked like Rhododendron pods until I went outside and looked at some.

Orwell, VT

Syringa ....... possibly Syringa japonica seed pods which have open.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL Resin!!!!!!!! : )

Does it even grow in my area???? LOL be my luck it don't even grow down here this far.

You are looking at a woody capsule about an inch long and wide from which the winged seeds of this species fall. Looks like a little wood rose. Some say it's not enough reason to grow the tree.

If you saw it, you might mistake this tree for an Ailanthus, except for the long peeling strips of bark.

Asian cultures have used young shoots as a vegetable, and the leaves have an oniony smell.

It'll go zones 5-7. Not Rhododendron, Syringa, or Felicida (Res.) C.Pa.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

an Acer of some kind? (and I love your kitty)

I'll try Tetradium (syn. Euodia)

Resin

No, not an Acer.

No, not Tetradium; it has small hard black pellet-like seeds.

Maybe I should go back to making jumbles.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh it's right on the tip on my tounge!

Phellodendron?

Toona sinensis

Resin

Not Phellodendron; it has small black fleshy fruit.

I must say, you are all pulling out the obscure opposite-branched offerings.

This plant is alternate and pinnately compound. The stems and leaf scars would remind of plants like Ailanthus, Juglans, and Carya.

I learned about this tree from a single plant on the University of KY campus in Lexington, what they used to call the old "Landscape Arboretum" near the agricultural engineering building. When I went back to school the second time, I used to walk by this plant daily going to and from classes on central campus. It wasn't much of a specimen, but it was giving it "the old college try" amongst showier Hamamelis, Viburnum, and various conifers. The plant parts illustrated were the last left that I picked up in the fall, probably from around 1996.

The tree (and most of the old collection there) is now gone, paved over for the new Plant Sciences Building.

And Resin nails it.

The former (as I learned it) Cedrela sinensis, the Chinese Toon...how could anyone ever forget that name, once learned?

I think folks need to rush right out and get two or three. If dybbuk is lurking, there's a variegated one called Toona sinensis 'Flamingo'.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wasn't the chinese toon in the Roger Rabbit movie?

OK, what's this, then?

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Found this site, a key to commonly cultivated southeast Asian trees in the last tree search, pretty good

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ac775e/AC775E02.htm

Thanks, claypot. I rummaged around and found this on the same site.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ac775e/AC775E01.htm

This is a great link for seeing what some of the terms mean that get tossed around on this forum.

AND, I really like this admonition:

Quoting:
Always be sure not to damage trees fatally when collecting samples.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Resin...I know this is totally wrong but it looks like a lime tree.

Yep, you knew it, totally wrong :-))

The fruit are immature but full size, about 3cm long; for a clue, at maturity they will be harvested to be cracked and pressed for oil.

Resin

Is that an olive (Olea) of some kind?

Will I need to crack a nice Chianti Classico as a landscape partner?

Nope, sorry, and the Chianti would not be welcomed by the oil pressers . . .

Resin

A Calophyllum?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Aleurites fordii?

Nope, nope. Whole plant pic below . .

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

well it cedrtainly looked prettier in the first picture

Argania spinosa

Quoting:
Argania spinosa

Yep! Morocco, Sous Valley near Agadir.

A Moroccan endemic, the only species in the family Sapotaceae native to the Euro-Mediterranean region. Those who harvest the fruit are of course Muslim, hence the lack of interest in the chianti.

Your turn to post a pic :-)

Resin

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

congrats. claypa

Thanks! Sorry this isn't a good pic, but someone should be able to come close... I don't know exactly what it is, genus is good enough for this one.

Thumbnail by claypa

Carya ovata or C. laciniosa?

Resin

Yep, and a new speed record, to boot!

So which one?

Here's the next entry . . .

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread