Wilt-Prufwhen to use?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi--I'm trying to do the right thing with my broad-leaf perennials, so back in December I sprayed them with Wilt-Pruf, and read that they could be sprayed again in January. Well, I missed that deadline--and it wasn't really that cold here on Cape Cod. But it's been getting colder (nightime temps in the low 20 and teens) and I feel I should spray my drooping rhodies again--just not sure when to do it. The directions say to water the ground before spraying, which is not easy with the water faucets shut off. What do other folks do with Wilt-Pruf?
Thanks in advance,
Emily (who is a newbie to NE gardening, if you couldn't tell already!)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Emily - we have some of that at work but I have never used it. I would think early this month would be alright yet. Most likely they want to make sure it wears off before warmer spring weather hits.

Al

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hi Emily! Welcome.
I used for the first time last year and my rhodies seemed better than ever. I only applied it once although I read somewhere that this year it was important to reapply because we had warm weather for a month or 2 after normal application time.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your responses. I look out at my rhodies, and they have VERY droopy Snoopy-eared leaves, but today it's been rainy (what's going ON with this Winter?) which might be helpful, and I will plan to give my broad-leafed perennials another coating of Wilt-Pruf in the next few days.
I love NE gardening and the climate--you never now what's going to happen next! So different from California, where I came from last year.
--Emily

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

The colder it gets, the tighter their leaves curl. Less so with Wiltpruf

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Yes, Dave, I'm really noticing the leaf-curl lately, now that we're having cold temps. My rhodies look positively hang-dog. And it's supposed to get really cold inthe next few days (cold for here on the Cape, anyway: 5 degrees F, not counting wind-chill.) I read that WiltPruf shouldn't be applied in freezing temps--and that it SHOULD be sprayed on when the plants have been watered beforehand. I had hoped to do so after the rain we had two days ago, but it got too cold too quickly!!
The window of opportunity closes fast! But I'm going to be waiting, spray bottle at the ready!
--Emily

This message was edited Feb 3, 2007 9:38 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi Emily and welcome to Northeast Gardening. Good luck with your spraying. I think we'll have one day around 35 and then it drops to night temperatures of minus 10.

Cape Cod Lover,
Pirl

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Good luck Emily and remember, rhodies existed a long time without any Wiltpruf.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Rightly noted, Dave! I have to restrain myself from obsessing!
--Emily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.