bonsai plants at Lowes and Walmart

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This week I have seen the most beautiful bonsai plants in containers...I know nothing about bonsai but want them so badly....are there any few tricks I should know in keeping them healthy? I have plenty of gro lights in the house and when the weather warms up a bit, I have a great front screened in porch facing the south. Someone help me before i go get these i saw...thanks

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

What kind are they" The species makes a huge difference in c are. Also go to BonsaiWest.com. On that site is a little booklet called "Ask Dr, Bonsai". Of all the info I have, that's the single best source for help especially for a beginner.... then look out because they are addictive and you'll add more Bonsai and more books! I have over 50!!! The one pictures here now has a much nicer canopy and I have had it about 12 years. Won it at a raffle at the greenhouse Group I belong to....... cost me $2.

Good Luck!

Thumbnail by bseddon
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Is that a ficus? Walmart had one of those but i think a ficus is hard to grow.....they drop leaves if i do anything wrong..
thanks for the site for BonsaiWest.com
gail

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

this is a seju elm. I have several Ficus of different varieties. Maybe I'll ge the camera out tonight!!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

get that camera out bseddon.....I am in love with these novelty plants....want to see more....thanks

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

This doesn't qualify as a Bonsai but it is in my backyard.....

Thumbnail by bseddon
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my goodness...I just forget what you all can grow in cold weather....that is truly a yard bonsai and absolutely breathtaking....what kind of tree is it??

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

It is, believe it or not, one of those little pine trees the kids bring home on Arbor Day. It's probably 15-20 years old. And right now the poor fairy is uncer a LOT of snow.....

Niagara Falls, NY(Zone 6a)

I got a ficus retusa at Walmart. It was half dead (I think it got a blast of cold air) and it had that horrid glued on rock on top of the dirt. It was also 50% off (so it was $5) and I thought, "What the heck, I'll give it a go." I hate seeing plants in distress.

I trimmed the dead parts, pried off the rocks and loosened the soil and it is just taking off like crazy. It's my first bonzai. :)

The only problem I'm having is that the new leaves are coming in too large. Any suggestions from anyone on how to control that?

This message was edited Apr 14, 2007 1:50 PM

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

It may not be getting enough light....one reason for bigger leaves. Also if you trim the healthy leaves, the new ones often come in smaller......

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am watching and learning....thanks

I think it's getting plenty of light, bseddon, but I could be wrong. It gets south window light (or it goes outside when the temps are good) and I suppliment with artificial plant lights when we're having dark weather.

I might just be an enthusiastic growth surge after being abused at Walmart. I'll try cutting back the big leaves to see what comes in next.

Thanks.

Scott, LA(Zone 8b)

ScotDeerie, What type of dirt is it planted in? Most trees are coming out of dormant season, so now is a good time for trimming back leaves and roots if needed. Try looking up a good potting mixture for your tree. I use pine bark mulch, vermiculite, and haydite (sp?) I am only at this for one year, but I understand that true bonsai trees are not grown in potting soil or dirt.

Hi didbrou,
I'd say it was routine potting soil.

I'm not sure what haydite is but the other two ingredients I know. What percentage mixture do you use?

And should I be ready to trim roots when I replant. That always scares the heck out of me.

Scott, LA(Zone 8b)

Haydite is like a type of broken clay particles that helps keep mixture moist. You have to sift it first before potting up your plant. If the particles are fine, then when you water it the mixture becomes solid and does not drain very well. The bonsai sites sell something else that is similar but is a lot more expensive. I think it is called Akadama.
Here are two sites to help you get started. If you are replanting now, I would trim the roots if the tree depending on whether or not the tree trunk is the size you are aiming for. Some people keep it in a training pot until it gets to the size and put it in a final pot once it has reached an approximate size to your finished tree. You can also plant it small and trim the roots and branches if you want a smaller tree. Check in your area for a bonsai club to visit and see for yourself what steps you need to take. Almost every state has a bonsai club.

Here are some sites you can start with to help you.
https://www.bonsaiwest.com/care.html
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/potting_medium_index.html

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

Bonsai West is the BEST. I make a trip there at least once a year. In between I email questions, etc. and always get gracious responses. Their little dowloadable book called ask Dr Bonsai is a real treasure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.