You Guys are SO Great !!

Success, MO

Hi all ...

I used to come to daves alot.stopped when things got ... well a lil too much. I am SO happy to see this Forum !

I've been checking out the post for a few weeks now.i actually feel like I belong ! Been awhile since I felt that way !!

gotta tell yah , you've all been so good for me.i am recovering from a BIG FALL . Been really doing the 'soul searching thing', had to 'find my place' in life . Knew it would have something to do with helping people and GARDENING !!

I KNOW what it is ... Disabled gardeners !!

That SUNSHINE ... the SMELL of soil ... FEELING LIFE , CREATING and GIVING !! That the key to it !! And there IS a NEED !! So much Healing ... and it's right in front of us !!

All your posts ... all the links w/info. Thats were I am going to start ... Restart !! My life , and the lives of others !!

I will be a Landscaper ... A special one . What do you think ?? retirementhomes , retirement communties , Rehab. centers , VFW homes , Childrens camps and homes ... "special" schools ??

NEED your advise ... feedback ... EVERYTHING !!!
I want to make this work !! Please help me Learn !! Where do I go for the Education ??

'weedSZ

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi weedSZ, I wish you the very best in your decision to work with gardening for the disabled. Although I've been ill for several years and continued to garden
this is my first summer in a wheelchair and it is definetly an adjustment but I also have to say that my garden is a major source of hope and relief. I would be lost without my garden, the fact that it's perennial gives me hope psychologically, even if my disease is flaring up, I always have something to look forward to in the spring and week by week as I track what's blooming now. I was in the hospital this month for severe shingles(very painful) and I couldn't wait to get home and see my garden. It's a healing hobby. I wish my local garden centers would offer workshops for the disabled gardener, suggesting tips and tools to make gardening with a disability more managable. Maybe someday you could create a workshop for those in your community and advertise through the newspaper and the garden stores. There are a lot of people in the community that could use some expert advice in learning to adapt to there disability, sort of like an occupational therapst who specializes in gardening. Good luck in whatever choice you make, I'm certain your heart will lead you where you need to go!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I think you're on to something here - it would be a great help! For information, check with your Extension office and maybe they can get you headed in the right direction. I'm sure they could at least give you some places to start looking.

Success, MO

Thankyou both for your input , suggestions and good wishes !! Great ideas !! I will check into them.

Zinnia , What you mentioned about being at the hospital and not be able to be in your garden ... thats JUST WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !! Gardening is so HEALING and CALMING . If you (we) can't be in our gardens while in Hospital , i need to make them understand They should have a place (garden , hobby room w/supplies ... ANYTHING ) there for us.

The same goes for the classes ... the children LOVE to garden . You were stuck there for a week . I've been stuck in those places for MONTHES at a time . WE could have helped 'teach' the children , and others !!

Its gonna take time , and some real research on my part.I WILL make this happen . I am the most concerned about the education , degree (s) needed . I don't know what type , if any I need ?? And then there is the fact that I've been unemployed due to illness for the past three years.Don't have to tell you I AM BROKE !!

Again , THANKYOU for your ideas and support !! Just what I need to keep me moving on this. PLEASE keep them coming !!

NOWeedSZ !!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

NOWeedsz,
Check out the post on this forum by gardenwife called "Some neat resources". She has a link to "The American Horticultural Therapy Assoc." Perhaps you could contact someone from the assoc. about your idea and they could advise you on the next step. It's really interesting I had no idea there was such a group, they also have a lot of other links to follow.
Good luck.
Zinnia

Success, MO

I have saved those and MORE to my Favorites . Going thru all one at the time.I am finding info. !! Told yah ... GONNA MAKE IT WORK !! And it FEELS GREAT !!!!

Keep that Cheerleader skirt on for me !!

Much Love !
NOWeedSZ

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Go for it, NOWeedSZ! Contact your local County Extension Agency (should be listed under your county's name in the phone book) and ask if they have a Master Gardener class coming up. It's the perfect opportunity for you to meet gardeners of all ages and from all walks of life and make new friends! And you can probably put that desire to grow things and help others to use in your volunteer hours through the program. :o) Best, Kimberley

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Best of luck on your endeaver. I have been disabled for about 5 years now. I am now 50. It is really hard some days to get out and work in the yard but I love it and I really have toforce myself to do it sometimes. And yes I have lost plants from not being able to get out there to nuture them. I cry everytime this happens. With the heat and humidity here I can only go oout in the early am or late pm. I cannot breathe with my asthma in extreme heat. Yet my garden and all of you here help me so much. I think the gardeners here at daves are the best friends next to hubby that I have ever had. I wish I could meet all of you in person but that will never happen so I must tell I am so grateful to all of yoiu for helping me in all my times of despair.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

How is it going NOweedSZ? Shirley

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I agree with zinnia, the American Horticultural Therapy Assn is a good resource , as is the Master Gardeners and do not forget RSVP. There are retired folk out there who can help design and build raised gardens with wide smooth paths for wheelchair bound folk, gardeners who can plan gardens grown for smell, sight, feel(lamb's ear,pettable yew bushes etc), low allergy gardens etc. I found some good books in my library system on the subject, helped me focus on where to start on mine,(low maintence-due to sporadic pain and energy) Go for It!!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

what a great idea!
You should do it and I think it a great idea for a 'place' for people to go when they are in hospital... we have organisation called rotaary and lion that raise money for good causes and if you put together a submission they usualy get behind you. I dont know what the equivelant is where you are but I am sure there is a way.. look at what oprah does with the angel network? Your local council will know more as will support groups for pwoplw with disabiities. SENSATIONAL!! You have what it takes weedz! you know the good that comes from being able to be in that soecial place... you have the drive DO IT!!

Laura

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

go noweedsz,
great ideas. how about nursing homes? you could hire out to take care of there gardens, but incorporate having those that are capable of helping you in different capacities or to just watch and enjoy and smell those smells. :) i know my grama would have loved that. i would find more willingness at an upscale nursing home with the money to expend on this, but then there is a lot of federal and sometimes state monies out there that you can apply for. just a suggestion of course.
god bless.
debi z

Success, MO

Morning Everyone !!
I'm so sorry to have taken so long to say THANKYOU for all you support and ideas.This Terrorist Cr*p has really hit me hard ! Had friends IN the Pentagon Building.They are okay,but I've got this Bipolar/PTSD/ADHD/and major reccurent depression stuff...Can't sleep,can't sit still,can't watch the TV at all!,(I watched that second plane hit the tower!)I jump out of my skin at every noise or quick movement ... CANT BE AROUND PEOPLE ... Just bummed .

Enough of that !!
Update on my project :
recieved info from the AHTA.Great !! ?? Problem ... Need to be a member ! Must qualify ... MOST info. is for a fee . Some free IF you are a member.Having trouble understanding the lit. they sent.Long listance to call.Having to write.

State of Missouri HAS no resources to fund such project.Trying to find business willing to help supply resources.Thats NOT been so successful...go figure huh ?

County Extention hasn't been very helpful at all !

It's gonna take awhile I see.I will tell you one thing ... I'm NOT DONE WITH THIS YET ... EVER !! I believe in this ...It will help all of us heal no matter the obstecles we need to overcome !

AGAIN , Thank you all !! Keep those knoggin's a think'in for me.A little Prayer help too(LOL)!!

NOWeedSZ

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

keep at it nowedz!

you can do it despite those things that you struggle with...

we believe in you.... its your turn to shine and show the people around you that there is good in the world as well..

hang in there

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.