February's Coffee

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Can you believe it's February????? I have also found that the clocks change in March this year??

Well, I got my contract and will give notice today..I am dredding that. I start the new job 2/20. Yippee!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You didn't do that yet!
Don't forget to burn all your bridges and go out in style,
your personal advisor

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Good luck Anita!
I thought we had to wait another year for the expanded daylight savings time. I hope you are right! What a nice surge of hope that sent through me!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good luck, Anita. Keep repeating, "This, too, shall pass", all through the day and when you get in the car for the drive home you'll be giddy with relief.

March 11th is the date!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Al, I'd love to go out with a bang, but I couldn't live myself if I did.

My brother saw it in his new work calendar. I was surprised too. I need another cup of coffee and a shower. Catch you in a bit.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 7:39 AM

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Is anybody familiar with the old English tradition of saying "rabbits" to the people you greet on the first day of the month? A former co-worker used to do that. She's been gone from the job for about 20 years, but I still think "rabbits" every time I see the new month.

nap - I just wrote to Mark (UK) and asked him.

Jack and I have always wished each other Happy Anniversary on the 1st of every month. We felt that when we got married we'd never live long enough to celebrate a 50th anniversary so we celebrate the first of every month - we married on 1/1/91 - so it's 193 so far. September will be 200!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi all,
Is anyone planning to go to the Philadelphia Flower Show in March? I haven't attended for a few years but I 'd like to attend this year. The theme is "Legends of Ireland". ...Journey to the legendary...land of Tir-Ni-Nog...blooming entryway of living walls..mythical creatures...in the "Ealin Wood". Sounds enchanting.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Semper, I'd love to go to the philly show. I'm already planning on going to the CT one and the New England one.... that's a lot of driving for me. I'll have to wait and see. I like the theme!

Nancy, never heard of it, but 'Rabbits' to you!

Harper

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Anita,

Good luck with your new job. I hope that all goes well today. In any case, look to the future.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Right!! I forgot to wish you the best Anita. All the best to you!!!! Good luck giving your notice.

Thanks to Mark (U.K.) here is the explanation:

I don't know why or how it came about but yes its quite common over here!!!
Apart from it should be white rabbits and said 3 times before you say any other word.........!!!
Its supposed to bring you luck for the rest of the month!

To Anita: Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone. My boss was thrilled for me...get this... I've had some reservations about why they haven't replaced some people that have left over the last year and a half. My insticts are good...they are merging with another company. Although I am told that all positions were to be spared...we all know that the best laid plans....

Seems that I have an excellent guardian angel!

Rabbits to everyone!!!

I'm so very happy for you. I've been looking at the clock much too often today and thinking of you.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

thanks Arlene!!! :)

:-)

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, thanks to you and Mark for the explanation of rabbits! And to Harper and Anita...Rabbits back! Glad to have some confirmation on this.

Anita, sometimes you just know when something is right. This seems to be one of those times. Wish I could remember all the words to "Everything's Coming Up Roses." I'd sing it to you!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Go Anita!

They say "white" rabbits in England. Jefferson Airplane or Through the looking Glass?? I wonder what the origin is of the whole rabbit thing (white or otherwise). Could it have something to do with fertility? Or the lack thereof ?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's some info on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_rabbit

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

anita, congratulations!!!!!

pirl,
why would you and your hubby not believe you would be married for 50 years? i know me and my dh won't, he was 49 and i was 37 when we tied the knot.
happy 193rd anniversary to you 2.
my dh and i have 20 anniversary dates. we were married the first time on july 9th 1994, the second time on july 13th, 1994 on our honeymoon and we haven't stopped yet. :-) we were just married in las vegas on january 11th, the day i turned 50. we had a very nice minister who did a wonderful job., which we really appreciate. you would be surprised at how some of them just stand there and just recite something they have said 500 times before and have no feeling or even just acting like they do. LOL we/ve had some great adventures getting married 20 times and some stories to go along with them. :-)
debi z and franklin

debi - I was 49 and he was 60 when we married.

Where are you planning to go next for ceremony #21? Sounds like fun.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, so far I have been very productive. I worked with the plants in the basement. Cleaned up the african violets I'm cultivating down there. Split some and repotted others. I clipped my coleus cuttings as they are getting way too big. Pretty soon, I'll start cuttings so that I can have a bunch for the yard come spring. Picked at my orchids of dead leaves and gave everyone a good shot of H202 + Water.

Hmmm...now what do I feel like tackling..

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Well now................. here is somewhere i have never been before!!!
Hi to all..................... from good ole England!!

Mark

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Mark!
Welcome, and i'm glad you dropped in. Was begining to think you were avoiding us, see you on a lot of other forums but never here! Got any words of sunshine for us dreary New Englanders?

Hey Pixie

Why thank you..................... I am glad i dropped in too!!
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo, i don't avoid anyone (well maybe one, but we wont go into that) LOL.
Awwwwwwww, you should have invited me over for a chat!!!!
Hmmmmmmm, words of sunshine.................. I will have to think about that one.
WOW South China!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about time, Mark! Glad to have you here.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hellooooooooooooooooooooooo Arlene...................... I didnt even know you came in here until you sent me the email about white rabbits!!! LOL
Thank you............... nice to be here!!

Mark - along with the Rabbit (3 times) do you say it backwards the night before - tibbar tibbar tibbar?

I told you, its not rabbit 3 times............... its WHITE RABBITS 3 times!!
Noooooooooo the night before you say BLACK RABBIT 3 times................

Oh, I'm so sorry, Mark. I thought I was supposed to see a white rabbit and that would reinforce my luck!

I'm depending on you to remind us on the last day of the month!

LOL..........................
Seeing a black cat may reinforce your luck
Ok, i will remind you...................... dont worry!!!!

Now you want me to see a black cat, at night, before I go off to sleep saying Black Rabbit (3 times)! I'm sure I'll dream of cats and rabbits but I'll give it a try.

LOL............................. well you started it by asking!!...... Don't blame me.......hahahahahaha

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome Mark.

Arlene - at least the cats will keep busy with the rabbits!

Thank you Anita..................

I've been waking up screaming for years now, due to nightmares, so this just adds some diversity.

My favorite was waking up and ripping the sheet in half.

wow.....................nightmares about what???????????????????????????

Someone was trying to take a bag of apples away from me and I pulled back as he tried to grab the bag. It went on several times but I managed to thwart him, woke up and ripped the sheet in half. My husband woke up and asked "What was that about?" and I said, "Don't worry - I didn't let him get my apples". End of story. Of course, the next morning I looked at the torn sheet and went hysterical laughing.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

What did you do with the bag of apples.........

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

just be glad he wasn't boxing with you I guess.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.