arilbred in Florida ?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

any one know if the arilbred Iris will flower in Florida ?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

As a rule aribreds do not like a like of rain a year, or humidity - especially during the summer months. But, there are ways to get around that - - like lifting them after they bloom, or building structures to offset rainfall, and making sure they have superior drainage.

Growing arilbreds in other areas of the country is becoming more common. They are growing in Oregon, and in other northern states that tend to get a lot of cold and rain too. People are indeed growing arilbreds in areas where they were told they wouldn't grow - so, I would think almost anything is possible. And you won't really know unless you give it a try. :-)

~Margie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted some arilbreds last year, after reading the less aril, the easier. So I got a few that were 1/4 aril, and a couple 1/2. We get quite a bit of rain, so I'll see how they do. But I was told 1/4 aril should be pretty easy, and they are beautiful. Margie could maybe expound on this.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

concednses is that if you can keep them from getting too much water during summer dormancy they should do well

Also you might want to keep them cooler in the heat of the summer by either digging or providing significant shade
Good Luck

This message was edited Jan 31, 2007 9:42 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.