A girl's room

(Zone 4a)

I have decided to redo my youngest girl's room. I am bringing some of the outdoors indoors and I wanted to share. I was thinking of putting up a white picket fence again one wall of her room. And on the picket fence I might thread some artifical ivy and flowers into it. I am thinking of painting the room lavender and green. Anyhow that is one of my winter projects while I await spring.

Are you folks doing any projects indoors this winter???

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Getting through (and placing orders) the dahlia and daylily catalogs, all the seed company offerings, etc. Then it's writing the names of the Japanese irises in the French Script MT I found two weeks ago on Bamboo, working on the garden plans to white out plants I moved and changes I've made. If I get done with those projects I just might get to putting up new wallpaper in the mud room - I do hate shopping for it though.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, I love to look at the catalogues, trouble is I want too much, lol. I want to add some new dahlias this year also.
Did you find anything exciting to try?
Dawn, your idea sounds adorable. How'd you come up with that?
Makes me wish I had a daughter. I don't think my sons would go for that look, lol.
My house seems to always have a project in progress, 125 years old and it was updated a several points along the way, in a 50's and 70's way, lol. There's always another project waiting; right now we are in the process of finishing the playroom for our kids. I like my house, but oh...the work updating.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 4:59 PM

Hellobebe - Be glad, be very glad that your sons wouldn't go for the picket fence look! Next comes ruffles! Yes, I did find dahlias, daylilies, two pages of seeds (about 60 varieties), roses and I'm itching to find room for the five hydrangeas I found. I only have Mischel's Greenhouses to get through. They're online, too. Great packaging and a guarantee - all plants (annuals) $3.50. I love that place and order from them every year.

Dawn: Will you actually attach the fence to the wall by screwing it in? My thought would be you'd have to paint the wall eventually. Not that I'm Mrs. Clean but I'd think cobwebs would form between the slats. They do make lovely wallpapers and borders with that look. I'd have loved that look instead of boring paint.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Lol, you're not kidding.
Now I have to check out this Mischel's.
What kind of seeds are you getting? I just started some morning glories and brugmansia. I still have to decide what else, I know I want yellow impatiens. OK, I want more than that, lol.

Shocking but I've kept the yellow impatiens alive so far. It's on our indoor (but unheated) porch.

Too many plants to list but snapdragons, impatiens, caladiums and much more are ready to be ordered from Park's - along with all the veggies - my husband's domain.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice choices. I was drooling over some yellow impatiens I saw a few weeks ago at our botanical garden. Now that is a place that gives too many ideas....I was afraid I wouldn't be able to winter them over, but cool might work. Thanks for the tip.
I will be going back to Sams Club and purchase some more caladiums. They are mixed, no specific variety, but no matter, the price makes up for it. I think last year they were $14 for 60. They all grew too, so I was happy with the quality.
I wish I had more room for veggies.

Thumbnail by Hellobebe

That's the impatiens I have!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

That's the one I want, lol!!

From what I've heard they'll be widely available this year.

(Zone 4a)

Ugh I haven't been around much. I have sort of been in a funk lately. I think it is just February. I usually get like this. Anyhow lately I have lost all ambition for household projects LOL. I haven't started yet on the room. Maybe next week.

Someone mentioned if the picket fence is screwed into the wall it could cause more work with cobwebs etc...hey I never thought of that. Thanks for bringing that up. That was the route I was planning on going.....I will have to see now. It isn't like I can vacuum it up though. That would be easy enough.

Dawn - I'm really not a spoil sport about the picket fence being on the wall and the vacuuming but even any tiny hairs or dust on your vacuum cleaning attachment can stick to the rough edges of the wood.

Now, here's what my granddaughter and her friends did when they had a paint party for her 15th birthday last summer - it makes vacuuming the pickets look like child's play:

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 4a)

Hahahaha omg pirl!!!! What a fantastic piece of art that is hehehe. I am not sure if I could live with something like that but WOW!!!! That sure is amazing!

No no no I didn't think you were taking the fun out of my picket fence...I am glad you brought it up because it was honestly something I didn't think about.

Dawn - here's another laugh for you! Check out the hand prints.

They tracked it into the bathroom, the tub, the halls, the stairs and my daughter flipped and ordered them all outside and refused to allow them back inside!

My granddaughter was the one who had to clean the mess they made (but not the "art").

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 4a)

Holy crap!!! Look at that ahem! Wonderful art LOL.....how did your daughter manage that?? And keep her sanity???

At the time she was busy (thankfully) with her 5 month old son, Charlie!

This picture was taken the day before the painting party.

Thumbnail by pirl

You might like this one:

Thumbnail by pirl

Or this one with hydrangeas:

Thumbnail by pirl

This one is so pretty!!!

Prepasted
26.5" high

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 8:08 AM

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the great ideas pirl!!! Those are very very pretty! Oh gosh I almost want one in my room! LOL!

OMG just look at that baby!!!! Those little cheeks and toes!!!!! Ahhhh almost makes me want another - I said almost.

You're quite welcome. I wanted you to see how special wallpapers are now.

Charlie is special, too! I had just given him his first taste of the mutual Megan/Grandma birthday cake and ice cream and he looks like he's longing for another taste.

My son-in-law's sister did the fabulous lettering around the top of his room - from "The Little Prince", which is the theme of the room.

Thumbnail by pirl
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I love that little prince room!

Thanks, Dave. We all love it. My son-in-law did the shelving, routing, etc. He and my daughter first read the book, "The Little Prince" to each other - he read it in Greek and she read it in French. Hence, the theme.

Here's the latest photo from last Thursday.

Thumbnail by pirl
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Charlie is gorgeous, and the room is outstanding! What a wonderful idea.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

You can't stay in a bad mood with that face around!

Thanks for all the compliments.

Yes, Dave, he's a charmer for sure.

(Zone 4a)

Very good job pirl!! I love a room made with love. I did almost the same thing with my eldest girl's room. I painted lovely words like LOVE, HAPPINESS, DANCE, IMAGINE etc going around the room in different colours...I will have to post a pic to show you as well. I don't care much for wallpaper border so I did the paint thing.

I'd love to see photos. That takes more dedication than hanging any border or paper.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Dawn, several years ago, I did a picket fence/outdoor room for my girls. I bought brown packing paper and used it to draw a picket fence then traced the design onto acetate and cut a stencil. I just held it to the white wall and sponged green paint around the bottom, yellow toward the top then sponged the rest of the room blue. The kids helped me finger print flowers and sponge flowers between and above the pickets. We even had an apple tree in the corner and a sky complete with clouds for the ceiling. I used primary color paints and mixed them down to get different shades. For the window valances, I made them look like clouds and one had a moon in the center and the other had a sun in the center. It's long been painted over at our other house but the kids and visitors loved it.

I love the way wall paper looks but I hate having to take it down and I get bored quickly. LOL

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

How creative you all are! The Little Prince was the first book I read in French. I remember it fondly.

(Zone 4a)

Yes pirl I will certainly get a pic for you to see...just give me a few days...things are a bit crazy around here.

Badseed that is a wonderful idea as well...I am sure it turned out just beautiful!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.