Perennials: What's Blooming in your Garden?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I know, for most of us, winter has set in and nothing is blooming and we need to depend on others to shoot that bit of color our way.

So show and tell us, what's blooming in your garden?

It's 22 degrees outside, the greyhound is shivering and chattering her teeth and I have looked far and wide. I have Camellias, azaleas, mother of thousands, kalanchoes and a few other non-perennials blooming. For now, I can come up with these oxalis in my greenhouse.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And an old Florida faithful, salvia coccinus(sic). I don't live in S. Florida anymore folks, so someone from the south needs to feed this thread and feed our need to see blooming perennials!!!

Molly
:^))))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

My teeth are chattering and my feet are cold... I just came in from outside where it's 25*F.

Perennials in full flower.. Yes please. More please.
Hi Molly, who knew Florida was gonna get so chilly? And today we are supposed to get snow showers coming up to Utah from Arizona, something seems wrong with that picture..
Have the thread on watch.. please you warmer folks show us more pics.
~Blooms

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

MollyMc, Love your picture! What is the name of the purple four-leaf clover-looking plant? Is it the one blooming? Some one gave me some thumb-size seeds that I planted in a pot with Marigarita and Blackie potato vine and it looks just like that one. If mine would bloom, I'll have something to look forward to.

Deborah♥

Deborah,

The purple is Wood Sorrel Oxalis and the green one is Pink Wood Sorrel Oxalis. Sometime this year I would love to get some Iron Cross Oxalis. I had some in S. Florida but I think it was too hot and it died. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1242/index.html

Well according to the plant files it shouldn't have been too hot, but can't remember then how I killed it.

Molly
:^)))

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh the Iron Cross Oxalis should be on everyone's wish list. I just looked in my seed box and mine is cultivar 'Triangularis'. That's what yours is also, right? I planted two seeds in November. One germinated in Dec I think, then other just popped up this week. Both are only one leaf/stem though. Will there be more stems and leaves coming from the same seed, I wonder? Are yours outside? I wonder if mine would live in zone 8 outside. I'll have to search plantfiles and find out what it says.
Deborah♥

Deborah,

The oxalis are good from zone 8a to 10 or 11. Let that single stem grow. Under the soil it will be multiplying little rhizomes and shooting up more stems to make a clump.

We have a lot of wild oxalis growing here. They have smaller green leaves with yellow flowers. I love them and let them grow whereever they wish.

Molly

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

According the Brent & Becky's site, the iron cross oxalis is ok in zone 7 as well -- I hope they are right.

Kell is showing blooming flowers down under over in the Mid South Gardening forum if you want a look see: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/687235/

Molly

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

headed that way..............

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Have Hellobores blooming , Cardamine diphylla, and a lot of Daffodils. Several other things got started but 23 degrees slowed them down a bit.

(Zone 5a)

Any photos hymenocallis? We'd love to see them :-) What is AL??

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

rannveig, I believe AL is for Alabama.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks gemini - I've a bit of trouble remembering all those abbreviations ;-) Thought so, but wasn't sure - didn't think it got that cold down there! :-)

Rann,

I am in North Central Florida, zone 8b. Our lowest last winter was 17 degrees F. Luckily it was only that cold for 2 hours, between 5-7am.

But it will get warm enough today for me to get outside and do some house painting, on a paying job.

Molly

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Winter has definitely set in; we've been having lows below 0F and frigid wind chills. I'm thankful for the blanket of snow covering everything, but I'm getting cabin fever! At least the sun is shining this morning.

(Zone 5a)

Molly - is Archer close to Gainesville, FL? Sounds familiar. 17 is cold! - somehow I don't remember it getting that cold when I lived there except on very few occations .... but I didn't really pay attention to the night time temps, so I wouldn't have known anyway ;-)

Archer is about 18 miles southwest of Gainesville. Hopefully the 17 is a once in a while occurrence. This year so far the lowest as been 21 F.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Molly - then I've definately driven through there. Close to home ;-)

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

This one is blooming a month ahead of its normal blooming time in my brother's garden. It is a very strong and effective ground cover.
I love the flowers.
I believe its name is Symphytum ibericum

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 4:18 PM

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Another blooming one from his garden;

Trachystemon orientalis.
The leaves gradually grow out very tall (around 50-60cm) and give an kind of tropical effect in a shady part of the garden. It is very beautiful, when you have the space for it! It can be a little invasive though.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

close-up of the flowers:

Thumbnail by bonitin
somewhere, PA

Bonitin,

I looked up Symphytum ibericum as it was new to me. Its a compfrey and PlantFiles warns
it also can be invasive is come situations. The flowers are quite pretty. We just got a late
snow! I was so happy to see spring here - the crocus and iris reticulata has just started
bloomed and BAM, snow. Its pretty with all the white but I'm ready for spring green & all the
colors of spring.

Thanks for sharing!
Tam

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Tammy, thanks!

It is true that this Symphytum could be invasive in certain conditions, but is that not usually the case with strong ground covers ? The clump just enlarged, but it didn't self-sow everywhere like some other invasive plants.
In fact it is very low-maintenance!

somewhere, PA

I've never grown it myself and it is pretty. You are absolutely right about ground
covers. I'm always conflicted about them. LOL

Tam

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have grown compfrey for several years (goat feed) it stays put the trouble is if you want to move it and do not get every little piece of root it will regrow.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Flowering very well this week is.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A short season, but, rare and beautiful-Lupine diffusus

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Dale!!!! I was going to post my Lupine and thought it was more the villosus due to the color. Okay, so I will post that pic. Tell me about the plant you have. You say it is rare and has a short season? Rare, why? How short is the season?

I will be back a little later today with some of what's blooming here. We had our last cold spell a few days ago and new growth is now popping out everywhere.

The Shastas are coming back and the creeping verbenas all have flowers on them.

BBL.
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, it really is spring and I'm seeing tiny shoots on daylilies and such. of course, nothing flowering this far north. so it's great to see some southern color. keep'em coming!!

Dale, are those lupines growing in your lawn?

somewhere, PA

I've got crocus & iris reticulata peaking in bloom. Its wonderful!
Tam

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Dang!! If I'm writing a post and go back to look at the flower photo my post disappeared. That didn't used to happen. I'll have to adjust to that. Dang!

Dale, what is that glorious tall purple feathery thing. No fair.
The pictured lupine flowers look just like our wild desert lupines, but the leaves are totally different.

Bonitin, I garden with mostly ground covers. It didn't necessarily start that way. I tend to put in lots of plants, water them and then let them fight it out. I love that Sympto-whatever [I'm afraid to go look at this point] and if it can survive our heat, I'd love to put it in the mix. It won't be invasive here. Where I don't water, nothing grows. Well, Except Weeds.
I'm going out with camera now. See if anything is flowering. ~Blooms

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow, that Lupine diffusus is beautiful. Only a few spring bulbs in bloom around here, but any color is appreciated.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Spring here.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

dogwood cabin by my creek

Thumbnail by justfurkids
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

leopard's bane

Thumbnail by justfurkids
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Creeping Phlox Scarlet Flame is still going strong as are the daffs and the pansies and the forsythia

Thumbnail by justfurkids
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'd love to have a little rustic cabin like yours near my pond! Never ever tear it down. It's got a charming character that takes years to aquire..

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

This was the first bloom at my house. A generic tulip that changed from hot pink to purple, a Wallyworld special.
Justfurkids, I agree, that cabin is beautiful. You don't see things like that any more!

Susan

Thumbnail by Raggedyann
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

pink gazania

Thumbnail by phughes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.