Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony

Singapore, Singapore

Hello,

We have a lipstick vine plant hanging in our balcony. A pair of small yellow humming birds (?) come at least 3-4 times in a day sometimes even more than that. I see them sucking nectar from the stem of the flower.

I would like to know more about such flowering plants besides lipstick vine that attract birds. We live in a very tropical hot and humid climate close to the equator.

Any help from any one of you will be appreciated. I was doing a search on the lipstick vine plant when I found this site.

Thanking you,

Best regards,

PeaceHarmony.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

HI: Don't know anything about were you live, but perhaps you could buy a humming bird feeder. If you do, just mix 2 parts sugar to 1 part water for it. The hummers need a lot of sugar during the day. You would probably attract more that way. Keep me informed please. LIZ

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Streptocarpella plant also a Gesneriad like Lipstick plant grows wonderful in a hanging backet and Butterfyls and humingbirds love them !
I don't know a lot of your area . If know answrs a google for plants that
humming birds love in your area will help.
I also think they like red, and yellow and aweet fragrant flowers ??
Wish I could be more help .

Medford, NJ

I think hoyas are native to your general area and I know that they are pollinated by bats, large moths, and possibly hummingbirds.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

I cant give you specific names, however I do know humming birds like flowers whith a trumpet shaped flower as the beaks are like straws and they like to sink the beak in rather on top, Good idea about the feeder, I seen them in Balli where they seem to add some colour to the water, it really was attractive to the birds, wish we had humming birds here in UK as they are just wonderful to watch.
OH a thought, what about ANGELS TRUMPETS, (Brugmansia or Datura)
Allamanda (Apocynaceae) shrub or climber, climber needs lot of room.
Clivia is a bulb
Cobaea ( like cup and saucers but climbs.
Can you grow lilies in you climate, they come in all colours.
Can you grow Orchids, I would think they would love them too.
Cant think of anything else right now, gone brain dead sorry.

Medford, NJ

My variegated lipstick vine flowered this summer, finally, and the hummingbirds are fighting over it!!

Bedford, MA

I know I am late to this post by about 6 years but there are no hummingbirds in Singapore. There is however a bird called the Sunbird which looks and acts similarly to a hummingbird and eats nectar as well. Hummingbirds only live in the Western Hemisphere.

Bedford, MA

my googling leads to the sunbird species Leptocoma Jugularis. Maybe that is the the bird that was trying on your lipstick all those years ago

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

My lipstick vine ha not grown since we hung it up in a basket in May. I have seeds to a vine called Lablab Purpureus. It's my favorite thing I've ever grown. Our's are on a trellis and topping out over 10 feet. They are covered with purple blooms that the humming birds love. I'd be happy to send you some seeds. Photo is a closeup of the bloom

evan

Thumbnail by Tyson0222

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.