Happy Birthday pollyk

Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

May you have a very nice day Polly

Lynn

Thumbnail by oltmanns
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Awwwwwwww, Thanks. We're in the midst of quite a snowstorm here , visibility is zip, so this is really appreciated.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 4:08 PM

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

A Birthday Blizzard!

I want one of those!

I'm putting in my order now for me and Donald Duck. (We have the same B-day.) We want snow, and lots of it - June 9th please.

Happy Birthday Polly!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you, thank you!

We ended up with just under 4 foot. Had planned on going out, but no, finally just got all cleaned out today. We went from about 2 in of snow to this-- this is the roadway to my house.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Not an iris in sight, dang! Thanks again, guys!

Thumbnail by pollyk
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

WOW!! Those snow pictures are beautiful!............... I can only imagine such beauty.

And....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope it was as breathtaking as those snow pictures.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Happy Belated Birthday from me!
What a beautiful snow. 4 ft! Think of your iris all nestled in a blanket of snow. This protects them from seriously low temperatures.
You live in a magnificent place!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Awwww, again. Thanks so much Margie!

What sweet people you all are!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And thank you too pajaritomt, I was typing when your post came.

Yes it is very pretty here, we are in the snowbelt, with snow coming across Lake Ontario. The last couple of years we have not had much. Sometimes though, we get so much of the snow and blowing we get locked in, and then it gets a little claustrophobic.

Snow is wonderful. My DH went out to dig parsnips and found under the 30+ inches of snow we have the ground is not frozen. I'm elated as I know all my irises are sleeping very comfortable.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oltmann's,
Would that photo be Dusky Challenger that you sent Pollyk for her birthday? If not, do you know what it is? It is very nice.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'd like to know the name of both iris above, please. So very pretty. I can add them to my orders, and call it a birthday bed.

Our ground normally does not freeze at all under the snow. We were upgraded on the new map to Z6a, had always been 5a, but we can grow most perennials to Z7, due to the ground being so warm under snow. Shrubs have to be hardy if they are above snow level, which normally runs 4-5 feet. (We got another 6 in last night). Irises are snuggled peacefully in their beds. Actually good growing conditions, but that was too much snow at once.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Irises grow very nicely in New Mexico. I am so lucky. They didn't do so well where I grew up -- New Orleans -- that is except for LA Irises.

BTW, Margie, I , too would like to know what those lovely irises are that you sent to Pollyk.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2007 10:22 AM

The iris picture I sent is Titan's Glory. Or at least that is what I ordered, and I think it's correct.
It is quite a large flower and preforms well.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Rats, Polly. I have to send a belated wish to you. You know you are one of my good DG friends but I want to thank you for all of our correspondences and trades. I think of you often because you are all through my garden! Hope it was a super day!

Thumbnail by boojum
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

So it's Titian's Glory! I have heard that is a great iris. Now I see that it is. I will have to grow it. I probably will need more land!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Boojum! Belated birthday wishes just extends the happiness longer, and I'm still waiting to go out for my birthday dinner. All you can eat crab legs, Monday and Tuesdays only. Great iris!

Margie, could you give the name of the iris in your picture, pretty please?

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Have a great dinner, Polly! Yum!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Margie says the picture she sent is of 'Words and Music'.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi, Yes............ Polly D-mailed me to ask. I apologize for not knowing that anyone was asking.

And if you're interested............. 'Words and Music' was introduced in 1984.......................is a vigorous grower, dependable bloomer, and one of those irises that will do so no matter what. Must have some of those good old historic genes in it.

Polly, having a "Birthday iris Bed" is such a cool idea!! It would be like having a birthday TWICE a year!
~Margie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Margie. It is especially good when a lovely iris is also a vigorous grower and not cantankerous.
Betty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.