Need help with eyesore!

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

My front lawn goes (give or take) 50 ft. in front of the house. I live in a subdivision with rather large lots. I have this ugly utility box at the right front corner of the yard right on the property line and at the sidewalk. I want to plant some ornamental grass there to block it from view but I don't want something as large as Pampas there right at the street. I was hoping for maybe 3-5 plants there. I am looking for something that will get about 4 ft. tall. I really like the miscanthus that hczone6 showed but doesn't that get really tall? I like neater looking grasses like that as opposed to the "feathery" kinds. Any suggestions??? (I'm in 7b).

Northeast Harbor, ME

Perhaps a cultivar of Panicum virgatum?

Thornton, IL

Perhaps you're still looking? I think you might like Karl Foerster feather reed grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora). It has a wheat-like stalk in summer, looks great alone or plays well with others. It starts out a little feathery (the photo on the left) but in a few weeks (right photo) it really shines in a grouping. It stands up well in winter too.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=calamagrostis&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 4:57 PM

The link I was was trying to post isn't working. Try www.prairiestarflowers.com

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 4:58 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.