DAILY PICS January 28, 2007

Melbourne, FL

OK, this is a new daily thread for bird pictures. Taken at feeders or elsewhere. I'll start it off with a Painted Bunting. When this thread gets too long, someone will start a new one.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 7:29 AM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 7:29 AM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful Gardenpom Thank You!!!

Melbourne, FL

Your welcome! Now let's get the pictures rolling....This is a male Painted Bunting with possibly a female Indigo Bunting (anybody else have any idea on the female?).

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 7:34 AM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

This one is from today, a long-distance shot of a Red Shouldered Hawk.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

One of my favorites - the Varied Thrush, waiting for a turn at the feeder.

Oops.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

OK. still so excited about seeing this bunting today, so here he is - in the proper place! :)
Gardenpom: That sure looks like a female, but I've only ever seen photos, so..no help, I'm afraid.
DebinSC
Edited to say, Murmur we cross-posted. That thrush is beautiful!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

I just love the Varied Thrush!! really an eye cathing bird. Nice pic Murmur!!

Marlton, NJ

They are really beautiful birds! Wish they'd come to NJ!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Red Bellied WP finally found the suet today!
DebinSC

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Melbourne, FL

It's a female, just not a Painted Bunting female...I think it is a female Indigo Bunting. They are known to travel together (Painted and Indigos). These are female Painted Buntings, they are a beautiful shades of green.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

I can't tell from the pic Gardenpom. Did you notice any shading of blue on her upper wing or rump? The beak should be dark in the top part and lighter on the lower one.

Melbourne, FL

Really hard to tell from the pic, and it's the only one I think I have of her. I just read about the bill, and that the female Indigos are described as "the plainest bird ever seen".

Marlton, NJ

Nice pic Garden!! The female is very pretty!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ah, I see-yep, the Painted female is definitely green. I've been studying pictures of female Indigos and I'm not sure, but very well could be.
http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/BuntingIndigoF03.jpg

Have you got male Indigos? If so, please post a pic!

DebinSC

Marlton, NJ

Wow thats a great photo for checking out her details.

Deb, love you red bellied!!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 9:09 PM

Phoenix, AZ

Two Thrashers and a Woodpecker, Phoenix 1/2007

Thumbnail by Aguane
Marlton, NJ

Wow Thanks Aquane! That is really a great site!

Melbourne, FL

I have seen a male Indigo, but did not get a pic. Here is another pic of the female with the Painted male, and the bill does look like two shades here.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

I don't see any blue on her. Did you see the pic on the link that DebinSC posted?

Great photos, everyone - how I would love to see a Painted Bunting - or any kind of Bunting! They are absolutely gorgeous.

Fun thread - thanks, Gardenpom!

Marlton, NJ

Yes I see the beak difference now, maybe her colors are just not showing up too well but it might well be a female IB.

Marlton, NJ

It might be just me but am I seeing a subtle shade of blue on the upper wing or shoulder?

Melbourne, FL

My pics are from winter, so her plumage is probably duller. Debs pic really shows the bluish tints. I really think it is the female Indigo. She brightens up in the summer I bet! Nice pics, everyone.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was lucky enought to see a Painted Bunting once about 15 years ago in my yard. They are so colorful! I love the Varied Thrush he is too pretty!

I took three pics today worthy of showing.
#1 One of my little Kinglets found the new nut bar...

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

#2 A close-up finally of a Cedar Waxwing!!!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

#3 A hawk after it took flight. Not sure, but I think it was a red-tail. We had driven about an hour south in the country to my DS house and saw it on the way home.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The red-bellied is another that eludes me most of the time. The only woodpeckers we have lately is the Downy.
Love the birds on the cactus from AZ. Neat, guess they adapt to the thorns.

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Sheila!! I love the waxwings! Sorry I can't ID the Hawk right away. All the bird sure love those nut bars!

Have you tried putting peanuts (in the shell) on an open feeder to attract the red bellies?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

[quote]A hawk after it took flight. Not sure, but I think it was a red-tail[quote]
Yep, Red-tailed Hawk

Resin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great Waxwing pic Sheila!! Yaay!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks y'all! As for the peanuts, squirrels are prolific around my yard, and would find them long before the RBs. About 8 squirrels in one tree at their feeder, and they raid my feeders too.

Quoting:
Your welcome! Now let's get the pictures rolling....This is a male Painted Bunting with possibly a female Indigo Bunting (anybody else have any idea on the female?).

I'd agree with female Indigo, looks just like the ones I saw in MO, incredibly drab birds!! Never saw a male :-(

Quoting:
Two Thrashers and a Woodpecker, Phoenix 1/2007

Gila Wp., and I'd say Curve-billed Thrashers

Quoting:
how I would love to see ... any kind of Bunting!

Look out for Lazuli Buntings in eastern WA (need to be east of the Cascades). But be warned that the females are every bit as drab as female Indigo Buntings!

Quoting:
#1 One of my little Kinglets found the new nut bar...

Methinks that's a female Orange-crowned Warbler, note the lack of wingbars, the drab greyish head, faintest hint of a weak supercilium, and faintly yellowish breast

Resin

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have a picture of a Tanager? I love their song. They must migrate because I don't see them in the winter.

Marlton, NJ

I guess your talking about the 2 types in the East. I would love to see any also, especially the males.

Princess Anne, MD

Heres a bluejay from this morning....

Thumbnail by pocomoke
Princess Anne, MD

And a red-bellied woodpecker...

Thumbnail by pocomoke
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I didn't know they would eat whole kernel corn off the cob. I have learned something new!

Quoting:
Tanager? .... They must migrate because I don't see them in the winter

Yes, they do; they're all in Central or South America at the moment.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Neat pics pocomoke!! First time I've seen that; Thanks for posting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.