Coleus Chatters Jan 29th-Feb 11th

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

New thread..... con't from http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/684351/

Shirley, I'm thinking of you and PP and praying that he is recovering and things are going well for all concerned. Here is your prayer request. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/688060/#new We love you!!!

Thumbnail by Brinda
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yup, I'm here with the prayers, Shirley...Love ya

Hap

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Me too Shirley. Please know we are holding you and DH in our hearts.
;)

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Shirley, my family's praying for yours too... hang in there;)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Miss Shirleyt,
I'll be praying for your DH, too!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Shirley, hope things are looking better today. T & P's coming your way.
Pati

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Was someone looking for cuttings of this trailing coleus?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

or was it this one?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have this one too.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Dale,
I sure would like some of 3139909 and 3140059. Particularily 3140059 is awesome.
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Where did those spooky numbers come from and how long have they been here? Eeeeeek.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous Dale...as always!

Here's the scoop on the numbers. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/688967/

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sidney, How many? What's in it for me, dear lady?

Brinda thanks and when is your 2007 coleus trade page going to be ready? I know you have a huge collection!

I have decided to update my Trade page this week. Coleus is the only plant trading I will be doing. The other trades are expensive to ship, coleus can be shipped bare root and the pkg's are light.

I am looking forward to seeing what new coleus show up on the market this year. It won't be long, 4-6 weeks before the season begins. American http://www.american-farms.com/updated%20inserts/currentavail.xls already has some for sale, but, they are small and it is still too cool for vigorous growth.

Pearl River, LA

Hello everyone ..... Thanks for all your prayers...The HD is HOME and I am learning even more about being his care giver.... He is now on insulin.... I prepare and HE gives his shots.. few changes... He surprised his doctors... they did not think he would make it.... He had a heart attack his kidneys were stressing and his sugar was 500...He was very ill. But he made it with lots of prayers and he appears to be almost back to himself... just a little weaker... His sugar is going down nicely and no more problems with his kidneys. So the out look is like it was before... 15% heart and not able to do much ... but he does not need to.... he has me and Sandy to cater to him. No king was ever treated better..lol..shirleyt

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Shirley, this is great news! I know he has the best nurse around! LOL You're the greatest!

There are many people over here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/688060/#new praying for him. I know they would love to hear from you.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hey dale....what 2007 coleus trade page? LOL Don't you know that coleus hate cold weather?
Every coleus I 'had' is now mush. It was sad....but it's true. I've spent hours on RDG and other sites trying to decide what I just can't live without this year.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Brinda,

I know what you can't live without....MORE coleus from me to you. When it gets warmer of course!

Juanita

This message was edited Jan 31, 2007 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

First and Formost.,.....

Shirley, I am so happy for you and your DH. It sounds as if he is out of the "woods' and has a good person by his side. You are a special person to be able to do all t his for him considering all that you have been though in the last year. Are there neighbors that can give you a hand or at least take over so you can get out/garden/shop? I hope so, because it is so important that you take care of yourself too. I think that you are not a person to do that, but now you must or everything will fall apart...

(((HUGS)))))

Hap

#2. Juanita, that is such as beautiful pix of coleus flowers...lol

Oh Shirley,
I am so glad you posted. Everytime I log on here I immediately come to see if you have posted. I am so thankful PP pulled through this and is in great hands. I second everything Happy said and am so glad Sandy is able to help you.
You're all still in my prayers and thoughts.
Sidney

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

that's great Shirley! praying for continued health, and patience, and strength...

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Glad you like the pic Hap. That was a bed of neon pink impatiens. Gotta love digital imaging!
Juanita

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Juanita! I do love that pic! I stole it! Yikes.....is that OK? LOL I put it on my desktop as a background pic and it looks sooooo pretty!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Juanita.....how you do dat?

Brinda....how you do dat?

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Glad it worked for you Brinda. You are welcome to any of them. I have that one on my background too. Printed it out as well. Vibrant colors when it was printed.

As for making the picture, I just used the image of those pink impatiens and added a few layers and filter and effects through the Adobe software that came with my camera. Took a while to figure it out, even with the book I bought, but now I'm addicted. Have to do some more coleus images later. Right now I am supposed to be sewing a baby blanket for someone. I need to have it by Sat. Sewing not my favorite sport. :0)

This pic is of one of the trays of the new cuttings that are a week old. Some Stormy Weather and Velvet Lime.

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I just heard the news.....is everyone in Florida OK?

Hi Brenda, I started this over on the Florida Gardening Forum this AM. People are checking in slowly. It is really bad. The cable news , CNN and FOX are carring it non-stop.
Pati

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/689616/

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much Pati!

Jacksonville wasn't touched, thank Heavens.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I was just getting ready to come looking for you Sidney! PTL you're OK!

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone,
Semi new to the coleus. I had some inside in a window box in my mud room in Cali that were absolutely beautiful and loved them but have never planted them outside. I'm loving the pictures I'm seeing on this forum and have a couple questions. I have several, well OK, way too many, red oaks here in SC and nothing much seems to be growing under them. Not too familiar with red oaks if they put off something that keeps anything from growing or if it's just from neglect from previous owners (just moved here in Oct.) Would coleus grow under the oaks and if so, is one kind better than another? I love some with the pinks in them but they all look beautiful and think I would want to do more than one type together instead of just one type. I had planned on taking some pictures outside today so will grab some of the areas I'm talking about. Secondly, when talking about taking clippings, are you saying just that? Clip the tops? What do you do with them after that? I read the sticky at the top of the forum but didn't see an obvious link to care/propagation...could have been that it was very late last night and I was seeing double at the time too.
Thanks!
Kristen

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Kristen, and welcome to our wonderful and colorful forum. You're gonna love it here, so don't be a stranger!!!

When people take cuttings.....yes they clip the tops or even side growth. I normally take about 4" or more and root them. My rooting process depends on the time of year. And I think everyone has their favorite way of rooting. I have much better luck rooting in water here, but many will root in soil. It may be a trial & error thing until you get it down.

We have many experts that are growers here.....maybe they will pop in and give you their opinion.

Long ago....coleus was known as an indoor plant or a shade only plant. Now there are a great many that can withstand the hot blazing sun. And since I only have hot blazing 100% full-time sun, I will let someone else answer your question about your trees/shade.

Whatever you do.....get some coleus, you won't be sorry you did! They add such color and texture to your garden. I promise....you will fall in love!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi and Welcome, Kristen,

I know nothing about red oaks. A little about coleus.
Now, you can have coleus everywhere, you just have to pick the right one for the right space. They know what they want and when you give it to them they are go appreciative. In FL, I have most blazing sun and then it goes to just bright and crazy sun, our winter. I have coleus all over and I am learning who likes what. It's all trial and error.

If you plant one and it doesn't act right, just move to a different place.

Another thing that you might consider is calling your Extension Service about the oaks. They would be your best bet.

Take heart, little one. I all will be bloomin' fun.

Hap

Hi Kristen, welcome to the world of Coleus addiction and instant gratification. Here's a link with probably more that you want to know about Coleus, just click on the menue at the top.

http://www.coleusfinder.org/index.php?lang=en

Pati

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Brinda, Which coleus are you getting from Rosy Dawn or am I asking too early? I have already started to make cuttings from my survivors from last year and have been slowly entering them on my trade page. I will send you some early in the season if you will send me some later in season. I know it will take time for your plants to grow up to size. I figured that you could cut back on your purchase from RD and get a few from my stash. And I wouldn't have to order so many new types. Whatdayathink?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Dale,

I love your pix with your posts. But could you give a title of the pix that you are posting with the post?

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Dale....never too early! Here is a rough list that I've whittled down to 49 from RDG. Then I have some from other places that are calling my name too. We've been in the process of painting the interior of our house and it really isn't going well at all. LOL (I've changed my mind three times so far.....and DH is very unhappy with me) So I haven't had much time to think about coleus, but I sure will in a week or so. I think you have a Grreeeaaaattt idea!!!!!

Beckwiths Gem
Black Magic
Blair's Witch
Brilliancy
Caracas
Dappled Apple
Daredevil
Desert Sunset
Dr. Wu
Drama Queen
Eclipse
Elfers
Fack
Felix
Fire Dragon
Gala
Gold Brocade
Illumination
Japanese Giant
Kingwood Carnival
Kona Red aka Dipt in Wine
Laser Red
Lemon Chiffon
Little Twister
Marie
Morgans Magic
Mr. Wonderful
Olympic Torch
Paisley Shawl
Pat Martin
Pele
Peter's Wonder
Plum Parfait
Purple Haze (I love this one)
Red Witch
Ringleader
Royalty
Rustic Orange
Satanic Embers
Shocking Pink
Solar Flare
Solar Shadow
Solar Sunrise
Songbird
Sparkler
Swallowtail
Victorian Carnival
Wildstreak

Others I'm drolling over/or have had in the past and loved.

From Mischels-
Molten Lava
Rose Explosion
Tilt a Whirl

From Avant Gardens-
Goldfinch
Odalisque

From Firmly Planted-
Tiger Lily
Night & Day
Mighty Mighty

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

OK, I love the names of these plants too :-)
Thank you for the welcome :-) I typically haunt the Equine forum but have been venturing out and clicking on forums of names I have no clue what they are and in most cases, I know the plants, but just not the names. I'm the same way with music. Someone will ask me if I like so-an-so and I'll say I have no clue who that is then they'll say they sing blah-blah and I'll be like, oh yeah, I like that song.
Anyway I digress...I grabbed two pictures this morning, early morning so you can see early morning shadows that are about the only time that hit these areas as then the sun is on the other side of the house and high enough that the oaks block them. I'm standing on the side of my house, facing towards the back and there are 5 oaks and one walnut in this picture. There is one more oak that just falls off the picture to the left and 3 more to the right then my driveway.

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

in this picture, I just turned to face the front of the yard and there is the one oak and two more just to the left off the picture then my driveway.

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

as you can see, there is nothing growing under or around them, even grass and I'm in desperate need of some color :-) I'm going to do some research on red oaks and see what I can find.
Patti, thank you for the link, I'm going to check that out also.
Kristen

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Now what is this abour HORSES??????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.