blooming today

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Went outside yesterday and these are blooming in one of my beds. I love this one because of the blue in the middle.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Ohhhh Rylaff~ so pretty! So divine!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

It is truly blue, what's its name? I want some in my garden when winter has gone and I can plant again.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

The color you see is the actual color. The flower is purple but the heart is actually very blue. Someone needs to help me out here, I am drawing a blank on the name. l am thinking it is some kind of african daisy.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's an Osteospermum, not sure which cultivar though. They're perennials in warmer climate but Blooms for you in zone 6 I think it's probably going to be an annual.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

That's okay, I find the plants while I'm visiting 'Spin [DD] and bring them home plant them and glory in them for one summer. I've brought home different Osteo other years.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Mine survived the winter last year because it was a mild winter and it was planted next to my dark-colored brick house in full sun..... I moved it and it didn't make it this year, it's dead to the ground... but they are very common at Lowes here. They call it African Daisy.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 11:13 AM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rylaf: Ooooh! Jealous! Mine won't bloom for another 6 weeks at least! I love the blue centers.
Deb

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I was under the impression that they reseed themselves? No?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Mine freeze and die and that's it. But then their common name does have African in it. LOL

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've seen maybe one seedling pop up in my yard from mine. So they can reseed but in my experience they don't do so prolifically. Although in another climate it might be a different story!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

so jealous. Was 12 deg. here last night.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I kept trying to grow them the last two years in 9a...............the sun kills them in august and September.....giving up on that one although it is sooooo nice!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe you could try them again but plant them somewhere where they'll get sun in the morning and early afternoon, but then get a little bit of shade during the hottest part of the day? They generally like full sun, but when you live in a climate where the summers are really hot, you often need to give full sun plants a bit of afternoon shade to protect them during the hottest part of the day.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Here in the high desert of Utah where the summer temps are a hundred plus, we laugh out loud and long when the catalog says "Likes Full Sun"... not here it doesn't. Almost my entire gardenings are where they can take advantage of tree shade at some point in the day.

There's still nothing blooming out there. but I love looking at pictures of what IS flowering elsewhere - keep 'em coming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.