looks like we are about to get a cold snap

Cordele, GA

The weather forecast says three nights below freezing for my area. I went out and mulched the asiatics ,that had begun to put up, with shredded cyperess and put up ended flowerpots over each crown. Unfortunately, that is all I can do. I hope I won't lose the blooms of the late planted paper whites that are in bud and the Ice Follies. If I do, at least I know that the bulbs sheltered in the ground will make it for next year.

Beth

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Beth, when in doubt, water them just before dark. Good luck, I know cordele is spoiled to warm weather, and a freeze, is sometimes a shock, to new growth. Mike

Cordele, GA

Water, ha!

It rained all last night. Today was lovely, bright and warm enough that no coats were needed. Maybe the forecaster is wrong and it will stay above freezing. I had resisted mulching prior to this because of the slugs. I hate giving them a nice warm damp place to call home over the winter.

So far I am not having wonderous luck with my lilies, except Formosa. The late bloomers bleach so badly in the heat and the early blooming asiatics are too darn early. I swear that I am not going to buy any more , and then the catalogs come. Landini is beautifully dark, Altari is gorgeous, Satin Slippers is charming. Ohh, and I get paid for that workshop I attended last weekend. I won't even have to short my grocery budget. Well, I know I have an addictive personality, at least this is socially acceptable.

Beth

Thomson, GA

Beth, I am learning that "full sun" means a little shade won't hurt in Georgia! I just ordered about 4 dozen lily bulbs - and most of them will not be any where near full sun. I experimented a little last year and even the ones I planted under trees bloomed well. My first year here I wanted to cut down some trees to make room for sun loving plants, but now I'm so glad I didn't!

This is a marvelous addiction! (and contagious)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.