Anyone know where I can get a Wisteria tree (standard)

Lindenhurst, NY

I've found white flower farm has this, but it's 150.00, then I found gurneys had a wisteria standard for 24.95 -- I don't have any experience with either one. 150.00 is way out of my price range.

Does anyone know of other good sources for a blue or lavendar wisteria standard? Or has anyone ordered from Gurneys and were you pleased with them? I'll have to look them up on watchdog.

Thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't help you on sources, but I will tell you to be careful what type of wisteria you get, some of them are quite aggressive and invasive. Here's a thread from the Invasive Plants forum talking about wisteria and I think there's info in here about which type of wisteria is OK.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/589016/

Sedalia, MO

I will tell you they are very invasive! I planted one some years back and trained it to a tree, it got away from me and took over the side of my house I cut it down and it kept putting out runners, I mowed it put brush killer on it and no luck, when I sold the house I was still mowing it down. I would never ever plant another one.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's a native variety or two that aren't invasive--if you read the thread I linked to above I think it mentions which one is the nice one.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Glory!! I don't think any of them are nice. If you just have to have one, plant it in a BIG rubber container used to feed or water cattle, be sure to punch holes in the bottom for drainage, but put screen then put a layer of hardware cloth over the holes so the roots won't grow through.

Judy

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Maureen,
Song Sparrow has a really nice Wisteria for about $25 plus shipping (not cheap, seems like it's about $20 but that can iclude up to 3 potted items)). I have purchased a number of Magnolias from them as well as peonies and daylilies; they are great packers and the plants are perfect.
http://www.songsparrow.com/2007new/searchnew2.cfm?pagetype=search&type=search

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.