Black Widow or Snake Iris

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I been growign Iris for years and different type s but what I seeing on my Black widow is somethgin new and wonder if anybody know s what goign on.

On the very tip of one of the plants leaf I am always finding a single dew drop. The first time I saw it, I wiped it off. Then a few days later another one was right back there. It crazy, almost like this one leaf is crying. It's not lonely cuz it has plenty of companions.

Any idea what is happening?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow That is kind a strange let me see what I can find about this

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

As long as it is not dew, there is a special name for this that escapes me. Maybe someone will oblige.

When plants have an overabundance of water in their tissue, but not necessarily enough to cause health problems, certains species have the ability to exude excess through special ducts located at leaf margins, and especially at leaf tips. In my opinion, your iris is crying, but it is probably not sad.

I have never heard of it with iris (but that doesn't mean anything). It is most commonly noticed on houseplants called Chinese evergreens (Aglaonema spp.). The droplets are quite decorative, especially in winter when the red berries are present: dark green leaves, red berries and glistening droplets perfectly placed (and spaced) throughout the plant.

Well, that's my educated guess.

Rick

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Would appreciate it. I know you know your Iris inside and out, so maybe you can figure it out.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Guess we was typing at the same type Rick. : )

That very interesting information. There three other plants in that same pot. Got them in a pot in the house. Then several other pots by them.

It is somethign to see, perfectly balanced there from the tip. A person could drive themselves crazy watching and waiting for it to drop. LOL

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

When plants give off water through their leaves it's called transpiration. That's how plants return water to the atmosphere, and it also helps to keep them cool, much like when we perspire. I have a philodendron in the house that sweats a lot, especially the first couple days after I water it.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, I wsa finally able to find otu what was goign on and they had never seen it on iris either, but this particular Iris has very fine , almost gras s like leaves.

At night when the nutrients are going through the phloem or is it xylem, forget at the moment which is up and which is down, it is goign straight out the top of the leaf. Seems when I was possibly planting the tiny tubers that I may have caused damage to the end of one. That damage is now showing up in my drip.

Was told if I captured enough of it and took it over to lab that they could tell me exactly what nutrients the plant is taking up from the soil, since it coming straight out of it's system. Thought it might be pretty neat to see what this plant eats, but then decided it wasn't worth paying 15 bucks for the test for it.

Thanks for all the info folks. : )

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Transpiration isn't what I am talking about. Transpiration is the plant releasing water vapor into the surrounding air through the stomata. As opposed to leaf margins, stomata are located pretty much throughout the leaf surface (undersides especially), and stems. All plants, as we speak of them here, transpire. Water released through transpiration is just that: water in gaseous form. Liquid water released as discussed here, and as starlight has found, can contain many minerals and nutrients.

As an aside, philodendrons don't normally weep droplets of liquid as you describe, Joan. My bet is that your plant will be even happier if you lighten up on the water a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.