Power Save Mode

Question about a problem I had this evening. Dell flat screen. I had the computer up and running, left it a while, an came back to it. I do that all of the time without incident. This time I bumped very slight (don't know if that was the cause) while plugging something into a usb port and the monitor suddenly showed a black screen that said (something like) "Power Save Mode. Press any key or move mouse to continue." Nothing I did would remove this message. I checked the mouse and keyboard cords in case they were loose, and they weren't. Also checked the monitor cords. I tried all three buttons (power sign, -, +) on the front of the monitor. Also tried powering off the computer. In desperation I unplugged the monitor and the computer and that fixed it.

Questions: How did I enter this power safe mode? It looks like a monitor function. As far as I can tell, I did nothing to cause it. And how do I get out of it once it starts? This has never happened before and was not caused by leaving the computer standing, because I do that all of the time. Any ideas appreciated.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!