Increasing landscaping

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

HI. I am planning to increase the size of my flower beds. At the present time, I have a large strip of grass between the beds, and the edge of my property. I plan to eliminate this grass strip, and replace it with a combination of low shrubs, annuals, perennials, and some ornamental grass, and lots of mulch.

The concern that I have whether losing the grass will mean losing my topsoil. The edge of the property has a slight slope downward to a ditch - I couldn't tell you the exact degree to the slope, (maybe 10%), but I can say that you can mow the entire area safely. Without the grass, I obviously wont have as much material keeping my soil together. Therefore, I am considering putting a large strip of monkey grass or another low growing ornamental grass as a border for the property.

How does this sound? Is it even necessary?

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!