Ipomoea purga - Jalap

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I am finally getting some success in finding the whole root of this species. In voodoo it is called "john the conquerer" root and carried for protection. .. "conquerer" is pronounced "conker" usually.

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

Here is one of two roots I finally got from New York. I planted the other one.

And here is I. platensis root I am hoping will grow for me.

Here are the two types of roots for size comparison. Jalap has a strong but not unpleasant scent, but platensis doesn't smell at all. My dogs are very interested in getting a hold of the jalap roots! I have to be careful so they don't, it would give them a terrible case of the runs!

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I hope you get it to grow. This is one that I've been wanting for a long time. The photos of those long purple tubes have had me longing to grow it, but after I found out finding true seed for this is next to impossible, I kind of gave up on it.

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Beth, you never cease to amaze me with your finds!!!!!! I just wish there were a book on world species with illustrations. Timber press prints this type of coffee table books all the time. Frank

Good looking roots! (visualizing dogs with diarrhea...the horror...the horror) LOL

Long Beach, CA

Are your plants still alive? Do you have seeds for sale? Where in NY did you find them?

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 8a)

Rhapsody... good to meet you. This is an old thread, and I think I am the only one left here that posted to this subject. Which species exactly are you asking about.????
I. purga no doubt. Have you read all the old threads about I purga??

Long Beach, CA

I have read some. I just want the real deal! Not the imposter. I just was hoping you had a seed or seedling!

Mesilla Park, NM

Here is a link that say's it has seeds for this, but I don't know it it is the real thing. Check this site out, it has several types of I. nils and species... very nice selection compared to any other site.. I don't know if they sell to the US though. Good luck and let us know if they do.

http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/Ipomoea-purga-45878p.html

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 8a)

Rhapsody, I.purga is like one of the many Holy Grail species. They are grown comercially, about 80 miles west of Vera Cruz Mexico. How to contact one of those farmers is way beyond me. They are shy about contact with us because they don't speak English. If you speak spanish, maybe you are the one to bridge the gap.

You might save yourself some frustration the rest of us on the same quest have experienced, if you explore this topic on the older threads. There has been some interesting discussion over the years. Frank

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.