More amaryllises

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

didn't want to hijack anybody's thread, but it's my time to brag.
Here is amaryllis Salmon. I love it.

Thumbnail by vossner

DH is teasing me, saying that from a distance, my Salmon looks like those little orange landscape flags. Truth is, it kinda does.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is my Lemon Lime. The petals are diamond dusted. The flowers are not yellow and are not white. More like a french vanilla ice cream white. I love this one.

Thumbnail by vossner

OK, here is Calla Hercules. Notice the teenie weenie flower? I'm so excited. Leaves are really big on this plant. I also have Giant White planted elswhere.

I've gotten confused and can't remember which has the speckled leaves. But in any case, I think this one is the Hercules. Somebody feel free to set me straight if needed.

I am so excited about the callas I'm getting from the coops. I have reds, oranges and various tones in the pink family coming to me.

Thumbnail by vossner

and here are watsonias from "across the pond". They sure do like Richmond. Leaves this year are bigger and stronger than last year.

Thumbnail by vossner
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful, I like all the colors. Maybe a couple of other plants around it and it wouldn't look like a flag. Lol. Lucky he didn't put some flags around it! We can not grow them outside here, unless taking in, in the winter. I do not have too much luck with them. I get one every year at Christmas and grow it. After blooming and summer, I let it dry up and store the bulb over the fall and part of winter and then try again. I get beautiful leaves and no bloom. So I planted them outside and still no luck, the deer like them though.
This year I received yet another bulb and paperwhites too. The paperwhites are growing nicely, but the amaryllis is just sitting there doing nothing, for 3 weeks now. There is a bud there, so I am hoping. (one year a new one didn't even bud, I am sure I am the amaryllis grim reaper) I guess I will have to enjoy yours!

thanks, Cparts, you can bet your last dollar I'm working on companion plants, lol. You might want to post the question on a separate thread. I seem to remember some discussion as to why they might not bloom.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I guess this means TX is warm in the winter!

Nice show voss, you were lucky to have escaped the ice damage with those.

Zantedeschia Hercules should have spots, but some apparently grown from seed may not have spots, I think kartuz sell it unspotted.

http://www.aroid.org/gallery/kozminski/Zantedeschia/Hercules.html

These sell seeds or offsets on ebay

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/107.htm

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We have another 6" of new snow.....do you want me to send some of that down???? also pretty chilly here now, almost froze my face off on my daily walk through the woods today. It is ok, the snow is beautiful and so peaceful in the woods. The sounds of silence only broken by a woodpecker tapping or bird singing....or biting wind with bits of frozen water trying to rip your skin off.

When I was shopping for Hercules, I observed a lot of discussion as to who had the REAL hercules. I am delighted to hear it is spotted. I got this one from Kartuz, BTW. In fact I also got the white Giant from Kartuz. I shall be posting as it grows along.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice flowers, Vossner.

BTW-My White Giant calla from B&B is spotted.

R.

uh oh, here we go again. One of mine is spotted, the other is not. Thank goodness I made it a point to plant in totally diff. parts of the garden.

I am fully confident that my bulb buddies will settle this for me once and for all later in the season.

voss, I said katuz sell the unspotted Hercules

http://www.kartuz.com/search=Zantedeschia

They also sell Spotted Giant

oops, thanks Janet. I stand corrected. I'm still confused about my poor record-keeping, but soon enough the mystery shall be solved.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful colors, Vossner!
:) Donna

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I think I've got zone envy when I realize you are growing those outside. Not a chance we could do it here, but mine have done well this year indoors - Two new ones and so far, four others that I summered outside.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/686566/#new

Ann

Ann, don't worry. I will be envious of you when it's near 100 deg. here and I'm ready to pass out after just a few minutes outside, lol.

Today was just gorgeous so I went for a quick nursery fix. They had 1 h. Misty in full bloom, with 4 flowers in 1 stalk. I prefer the traditional amaryllis blooms over trumpet-like blooms, but this one was so beautiful! I came home w/ a bulb with a bud and planted it right away. Hopefully it will appear in this brag thread soon.

Looking forward to seeing that voss, mine has just got the tip of a bud showing.

you are going to luv it

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

If amaryllis will naturalize where you are, the next time they bloom, they will have leaves, not just the bare stem and it will be later in the year than this. At least that has been my experience.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.