delphinium from seed

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

Illoquin's thread about hellebore seeds from down under reminded me that the most amazing delphinium that I have ever grown I started from seed that I got from New Zealand- Dowdeswell Delphinium- it was easy to send away for seed, and the germination rate was superb. They really have some gorgeous delphinium. http://www.delphinium.co.nz/ Check it out! sarah

editing to include instant gratification of some of their pictures, so you don't have to peruse their whole site! http://www.delphinium.co.nz/DelphiniumWallpaper.htm

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 9:28 PM

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh, man! I wish we could grow those here! Just too hot, too soon. I hate to whine, but it seems like we have the worst of the weather from the north with our cold winters and the worst of the south with the winter-immediatley-into-hot-humid-summer.

They look like they'd make amazing cut flowers, too, so I am doubly jealous!

I ordered a bunch of species Delphinium -- think red and blue larkspur for an idea, although these are true delphinium. Not great, but I am hopeful they will grow and prosper.

Suzy

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the site! I am definitely going to try some of their seed - we can grow nice Delphiniums here in the Pacific Northwest. I've already printed out the raising from seed instructions - can't wait to give this a shot! Only problem is, it will be very hard not to order one package of every variety!!!

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

oooh, oooh...thanks for that link smjs....I succumbed. Aren't they just gorgeous?

Catherine

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

..i'm ordering a few again this year!- i think i ordered about 5 years ago, and still have some huge plants in my cutting garden, but i just need MORE!! Remember to stake early, so they don't get out of hand. One thing I loved about those seeds was after following their planting instructions how obediently they germinated- i love obedient seeds....

SMJS, do you recommend any variety in particular? I'm just fighting the urge to buy every single one - which would break the bank and then some!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Ya know, a little CG Delph mini coop might be in order -- one person do the importing, split the seeds, collect money and ship them out. Would give you all a greater variety and probably save you on shipping. A bigger order would also make you a more important customer, and they'd be likely to send you an extra pack, well, maybe.

The great germination on these is because they probably only send fresh seed, and their fresh seed is VERY fresh -- it's the equivalent of end of July there now, so the seed is literally what? only 2 or 3 weeks old?

I must tell you those delphs are gorgeous and I suspect the hybridizer is world renown. I don't travel in the delphinium circles because as I said, we can't grow them here, but I'd bet money I'm right.

Suzy

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 3:10 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I will have to place an order with them someday. Thanks for the tip!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Dale, those are glorious!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know of some of the plain ol' gorgeous blue ones that might not need staking?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Murmur, these photo are from the NZ site metioned at the start of this thread.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like photos.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A picture is worth a thousand words. I am always amazed at how few people post pic's here. Digital cameras are not expensive and there is no cost for film etc. I always have a pic to go with my chat, even if it is not on the subject being threaded. Here is a photo that has nothing to do with the subject, but, who cares? It is a nice shot of Impatiens and bromileads in Sarasota-Selby Bot Garden.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I wouldn't mind going in on some of the NZ seed. I centainly don't need 50 of anything. Dmail me if a few of you decide to do a mini coop.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I wish I could grow delp's from seed, but, we never get cold enough, for long enough, to break dormancy. I have to order starter plants, through my broker, from a firm in Colorado. They are expensive at $1.35 each. People on the West Coast have one of the best climates to grow these beauties.

Here is a color you rarely see.

Dale, I'm with you - any photo is worth looking at!!! I know that I thoroughly enjoy seeing (and posting!) photos.

This delphinium wasn't grown from seed - I'm eager to try that, though.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

let's see- I'm going ahead and ordering five varieties- though I might wait till mid Feb. when they will be stocking the line up from this years harvest....they might even have more varieties! what I've chosen so far are: Morning Lights, Misty Mauve, Sweethearts, Pagan Purples, and BPU3002. These are straight from the source, Dowdeswell is where the "new millenium" delphs come from....If 2 people want to share this order with me, i'm happy to do so.. but i'll go ahead anyway- folks interested can dmail! sarah

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Are the NZ ones like the huge heavily flowering Delph's you see in photos of British gardens? Those seem so much more substantial than the varieties you see in the US. And much taller.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

the ones I have are a good 5 ft tall....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sjms,
Have you ever let one of flower trusses go to seed? I was wondering if the seed is stable or if they revert, like some hybrids, back to the parent plants.

I grow delph's as a winter annual . They will send up flower stalks every 30 days once they get established, if I keep the spent flowers cut. My most vigorous plants have bloomed 4 times in a winter. A few made it 5 times. Last year I grew the kind I know as Pacific Giants, but, too much staking. This year I am trying a shorter type (I have forgotten the variety name). I am happy with the shorter type, not as showy so I planted more starter plants, closer together.

This year I am going to try saving a few of the roots when they go dormant. Delphiniums are a member of the ranunculus family. Almost all ranunculus have a fiberous 'tuber' that regrows in cold climates. I was hoping to snatch a few before the heat of summer gets to them and they rot. I am going to dry them a little and then pop them into the fridge, in peat moss with a little sulfur. It would be nice if I could save a few. It would save me some money and I should get a larger plant over time. I guess part of me is a cheap mad scientist.

I don't have any photos of this years beds, yet. Here is a photo from last year at one of my clients.

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fabulous combination of plants.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

that blue is an unusual sight in a florida garden! how nice that you can have them bloom during the winter. I just don't know for sure about the seeds...wasn't aware of the tuber situation either! hmmmmm

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sjms, I know some folks up north that divide their delphiniums as they begin to die down in the fall, replanting immediately. There are some colors that don't come back from seed. The seed may grow, but, the color is different. I guess that is why they hand pollinate at the garden in NZ.

Sometimes flowers are so beautiful it almost hurts - I guess because we can't properly describe them or even begin to understand how they came to be. Dale, those are indeed lovely. (We need to start a thread that gives new adjectives for us to use - I'm getting stale!!!)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I found a wishlist I made a couple of years ago from that NZ site:LOL: Couldn't bring myself to order (hard to decide which 2 or 3 I had to have, price and wasn't sure how they would do here). I'm a sucker for blue flowers and those NZ delphs really seem to deliver with the color.

May have to give in this time....

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I adore Delphiniums................... these are my Pacific Giants!!!!

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia

Heavenly, Mr. C.! And the rose and Foxglove are marvelous, too!

Why thank you Murmur..................... The Rose is a David Austin and smell soooooooooooooooooo beautiful as you walk past it!!!

The delicate color of the David Austin is extremely appealing - especially right next to the incredible blue Delphiniums. What are the plants on the other side of the Delphiniums?

There are alsorts planted in there............... Hardy geraniums, sea holly, Geum, Potentilla a smoke bush etc etc

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

i wonder, dale, if the dividing you describe helps delphinium stay youthful and strong (they do dwindle after a few years)... especially if you had a particularly beautiful one that you knew wouldn't come back from seed- all the seeds of these nz hybrids are "seed strains" and are variable. the one problem i have would be actually getting around to dividing along with all the other things to do in the fall!
murmur- yeah, the blue of delphinium does almost hurt!! i agree..
Mr C such a pretty spot in your garden- darn, you guys just have the right mix of climate and all to grow so many plants so beautifully. i just can't grow the david austin roses here reliably, there are some that are hardier, but then there are bugs that eat them, phew, such a struggle. I do have some roses that do well, and that i love, but it's been 15 years of trial and error... lots of error.

Wow, it must get cold in your area if you cannot even grow roses..................
You have bugs that eat the roses??????????????

Thank god i live where i do............................LOL

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

don't rub it in!!

LOL...................... sorry!!!
Geesh i will be pleased when spring arrives..................... tomorrow we are expecting LOADS of snow!!!!!!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

is that unusual for you? we had such a warm dec and early jan, now however, it is real winter now- barely 20 (F) during the day, and the single digits at night....i had almost forgotton how winter is- but it's a good time to chat on the computer a bit, and find some neat websites....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hey all, plants and gardeners need to rest.

West Jordan, UT

I just placed an order from them today. I just got the tall mix of everything because I couldn't decide. I would still be willing to go in on a coop though. If well watered, delphs. do really well around here. I'd be interested in Misty Mauves, Pagan Purples, Royal Apirations, Sweethearts, Sunny Skies and Morning Lights. Now you see why I just ordered the mix- they are all fabulous!

(Zone 7b)

Just found this thread, and ordered the tall mix, I'm looking forward to adding to my delph garden. We should keep taking pictures, to see how we do with their seeds, eh?

West Jordan, UT

I just wanted to add this because it's so hilarious. I got my delphinium seeds and sowed them on March 8th. As of last week, no plants yet. All the other perennials I sowed at the same time were starting to appear but no delphiniums. I was a little worried so I sent off an e-mail to Dowdeswell's to figure out if I had reason to panic yet or not. This is the response he sent me and I've never gotten such a great chuckle from a business e-mail:

Hi Cynthia,

By all means, panic. However, spontaneous panic is much better than the
premeditated panic that you seem to be contemplating.
I will bet heavily that an intense half day of spontaneous panic,
followed by a week of relaxation, will result in your delphinium
seedlings emerging. Alternatively you could have the week of relaxation
without the panic. This would still produce the desired result but be
far less fun for the neighbours.

You seem to be doing everything right. The delph normally take about 21
days to emerge.

Big breaths

Cheers

Terry

Oh- and Terry was correct. I waited until this week to 'panic' and I have about 8 little seedlings coming up so no panic is necessary.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Cynthia, what a great sense of humor she has!

I have anxiety over the seeds ... or should I say anticipation?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.