Amaryllis Seed Pods...

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I have so many pregnant amaryllis you can tell what I have been doing for the past month. LOL

I have never done this before, when they finished, I just cut the stalks. OK now for the question....

what on earth am I going to do with what looks like to be thousands of seeds. I have no room for that kind of planting and after going to all this trouble, I don't want to throw them away.

Anybody on here interested in any of them? And when do you know they are ripe? They are so cool looking. and getting fatter everyday...

This first picture is Lemon-Lime x Lemon-Lime, I will post some pictures of the other pods also.

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

Here is ruby meyer x La Paz

what are the drips of sticky stuff? is that normal?

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks for asking. I have the same thing on my Red Lion. Someone told me I didn't have to cut the stalk back, so I didn't because I'm lazy and wanted to see how weird it would look before cutting it off. What a surprise!

Anyone out there that can help kittymom and me? I also wondered if it took energy from the bulb. In other words, is it a bad thing to let it do this?

Welcome to the amaryllis birthing center! Put your feet in the stirrups, take a deep breath and PUSH! LOL!!!

Ok.
First of all, don't cut off those stalks! Leave them on until the pods turn yellow and split open. They will be at their peak of ripeness.
Now, you have thousands of seeds. Select ten super healthy seeds from each cross and stick each variety in an envelope labeled with the cross.
Give the rest away...whatever.
Get as many little Mason Jars, baby food jars, jelly jars, whatever, as you have crosses. Fill them with tap water and dump the seeds in. Place away from sunlight in a medium bright location. Make sure to change the water every 2 or 3 days. In two or thee weeks (maybe more) you will see a tiny root working it's way downward from each seed. Shortly after, a little green grass-like blade will appear.
When that little grass blade is about an inch long, pluck it out with some tweezers and gently place the tiny root in a tray of moist grow mix. Do the same with the others as they grow.
Make up a spray bottle of tap water with about a teaspoon of anti-fungal powder mixed in and use it to spritz your seedlings daily. This will prevent mold or other fungus.
Remember to keep them moist - not swampy wet. LOL!
When they are about 6" tall transplant to 2 1/2 x 5" pots of soil medium similar to the type in which they were sprouted. Gradually introduce them to the sun. :-)

Wait three years...then enjoy new blossoms from your creation!

There now. That wasn't too painful, was it?
:-)

Easy for you to say, you don't have to do the pushing...LOL

Seriously, thank you so much for the help. Now to find the room to do this. But it is too much fun to pass up.

Susan
=^..^=

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, boy! I don't know..... If I'd have just cut off the stalks, I never would have known. Now that I know there are seeds there, I feel obligated to plant some. Now, to sell this to DH.....

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL, Susan I would love to try some of your seed too...I have some that are doing well at this point, but I honestly am not sure they will come to fruition. i have a pod of Orange Sovereign that has just popped open an had lots of seeds so I think I will try your method Gordo...and see what happens. It is self pollinated as well. Now I have other that the stalks got soft on and I placed them into water...will these ripen? The worst part of that is I have them labeled as to what I crossed them with, but forgot to put the mother plants on the labels, and now I have no idea what the Mom was..LOL so they will be surprise babies...a lot like mine were when they were born...LOL But I do still have some on nice sturdy stalks, if they remain that way anway, we will see...

Janet, I will be thrilled to send you some seeds. I am ashamed to say, I also have forgotten what I crossed them all with. Some I know for sure, and others, I just knew I would remember and now I don't. Of course!!

Susan
=^..^=

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

The droplets on the faded blooms are nectar.

Yum!

Should I taste it??????????? LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I do!

They're sweet!

R.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Susan what a proud Mommy you are!! Congrats on the multiply birth coming your way....lol! I would luv to try to seeds if you have any left.

Gordo, I never knew that was the way to start the seeds. Thanks for the instructions.

:) Donna

You're welcome. You can also start them by laying them flat on top of moist grow mix. Spray with the water/fungicide mix 2 or three times a day until they sprout. I do mine in those clear salad containers with the snap on lids. Bottom heat is helpful also.

I harvested a ton of Lemon-lime seeds a few weeks ago. When I first 'dumped' them out of the pod they looked like they had a bump in the middle of the black 'paper'. However, later they just looked like they didn't have anything. So I was really disappointed because I thought they were all bad.

I have also harvested some Ruby Meyer and LaPaz. White Christmas made a pod but it didn't get fat and didn't produce any seeds. Lots of miscarriages. :(

So, I put a few seeds in small glasses of water, at least 3 weeks ago. They just floated for days and days and finally, I peeled the black paper off and there was a white seed in the middle. Still nothing though.

Tonight, I was checking one last time, and you won't believe it!!!!!!!!!!! There is a tiny little sprout (root) coming out of one of the seeds. I am sooooooooooooo excited!!! Now I need to figure out what to do next so it will grow. This is not a job if you aren't patient. and that's not one of my finer qualities. LOL

I had planned to put these seeds into a seed swap but thought they were bad, so I was going to do something else. But now, maybe I will go ahead and send them. It still scares me though, because they really do just look like black pieces of paper.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings......

Susan
=^..^=

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Susan I would love to have a few of your Lemon Lime, Ruby Meyer, and LaPaz. And soy do I understand patience. I have never had any and now even less since my Darling passed away. If only the pain would not be as deep I would care more about my plants.

Some of mine got seed pods but the weight of the flowers broke the stems. They are laying on the table and seem to be growing fatter. I did not take pollen from one bloom to the other so will they be fertile? They have been in the house the whole time.

Janet I would love to have a few of your Orange Sovereign.

I don't know what mine are but it they bust open with anything I would be glad to share. I can send an SASE.to both of you.

It is kinda cool outside but I set them outside anyway. I didn't have much table space left. I love Amaryllis. My 2 Honeymoon turned out to be white and so did Lemon Lime. I have one other Lemon Lime but the blooms are still stuck coming out of the bulb. They have been half way out since we got them. Son't know what to do for it.

I have tons of amaryllis in planter boxes sitting on the ground I have collected over the years. I am going to give all of them mighty plant when it warms up.

During the Ice storm I lost nothing because it only made it withing 5 miles of my house. But last week it went into the 20's and I was staying at DSs apartment when They announced the freeze coming. I didn't feel like driving 18 miles home to tend anything as it was getting late. Well needless to say I lost some stuff. But of course not my amarylis. :O)

Gordo what and where do you get the fungicide you are speaking about?

Have fun with these all.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

well glad I decided to lurk here. I had no clue those were seed pods on my amaryllis. Geez and I was going to cut them back. Now I cannot although I doubt I have patienc to do as gordo suggested . Well ok maybe I will try it once. Although about the only thing I have suceeded in growing from seed was sunflowers. :o)

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Gordo - Where do you get the anti-fungal powder and is there a brand name?

TIA,
Linda

I need to know too. I have planted my little seedling and didn't have any of that. I don't want it to rot, so help before I go to WalMart tonight.....please??

Susan
=^..^=

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I understand that cammomile tea will work as a fungicide. Anyway, I also have a very pregnant Red Lion and am so pleased to read this thread.

I would be very happy to also start some other variety of seeds, if I am going to go through the trouble of doing my own.

So, would anyone be will to swap?

cheers,
Seandor

I put h2o2 in the water for my watering during the winter, but I don't know how well it works.

I would be happy to swap with you Seandor. :-)

Susan
=^..^=

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will be happy to send seed to anyone that would be interested. Just send me an SASE and I will send them out. I am in the exchange. Please write me a note telling me they are for Amaryllis seeds. I have a couple that I know exactly what they are and then I have some that are just going to be surprises..LO I do have a couple of seeds that are now showing little roots...so we will see if I am able to keep them alive...LOL I also have some offsets from the mother bulbs that I took off the bulbs before planting them and planted the offset separatly and they are doing well...so I should have quite a collection! Thanks for all the info! Susan, how is you seedling doing? Did you actually "plant" it or just lay it on the soil mix...I am sure I am going to mess this up...hmmm....

Well....I kinda planted it and laid it. LOL I tried to cover the little root with soil, I am using coir. So far so good. Nothing green though.

Susan
=^..^=

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I just put three of mine in soil...lightly covered the root, with the seed above the soil? Placed them in a blueberry container with the lid...so I hope they will do well....this is just too funny, you know mother nature is not this careful! LOL I really am thinking about putting some seed out in the garden? GORDO????? What do you think? Will they sprout?

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Hi there! I would like to know how you polinised your flowers?
I tried to do so with pollen coming from other flowers on the same bulb but it did not work. I guess that using pollen from another bulb of the same clone shouldn't be working then. Maybe I wasn't lucky?

I would really like some seeds of yours Lemon Lime and Ruby Meyer x LaPaz. Will send a SASE plus something to cover the bubble mailer.

Thanks for sharing!

Kittymom I would like some of your Ruby Meyer- La paz & Lemon Lime if you still have some. I don't have any seed rigt now mine are blooming but will have some later, I just pollinat here & thee never know what it is going to be. Lorine

I do have a few left. You may not get the big amount I was sending, but I will send you at least 4 or 5. That sounds stingy doesn't it? There just aren't that many of the Ruby Meyer, and La paz sorry, cause I want to start some of those too.

You know how down I was about the lemon lime?? Well, almost ALL of the seeds have now put out a little root. I am amazed. I guess I just wasn't patient enough, huh?

I have them 'planted' but they still haven't made a sprout, but maybe that takes awhile too.

Oh yeah, how did I pollinate?

I took a q-tip and got it loaded with pollen from the pollen parent. On the Lemon lime that I self pollinated, I used a different flower than the one I was pollinating. Then I brushed all the pollen onto that little Y thingy until it was covered. The lemon lime had a very prominate Y thingy but some of the others that didn't work, have tiny little y thingies. LOL The Double Record didn't have one at all. :( The lemon lime is apparently VERY fertile, because it started swelling up almost immediately. And became huge as the pictures show above.

Susan
=^..^=

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Susan, I would like some of the LL if you have extras. I have so many I can send you some of each that I have, I know at least one parent of each I think, lol...I have a couple I know the actual "parents" of...it got to crazy in the delivery room, everyone was being born at once, so I didn't keep up as well as I should have...lol

Sure Janet! We can just trade, you don't need to send an envie. Just send me some of yours.

What on earth am I going to do with all these if they grow???

Nice problem to have, huh?

Susan
=^..^=

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I guess you are going to pot them up and leave them outside until you have to bring them in...LOL I have a few of each of mine in glasses, trying to get the to grow roots..lol..I am willing to share the rest. I may throw a few on a spot in the garden too...and see if they grow.

Actually, I don't know if they are going to go outside or not. I have never had one outside, so when would I do that and how do you care for them out there?

Susan
=^..^=

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I believe you can put them outside during the warmer months....and let them grow....and bring them in when the cold begins...I can actually leave them outside all seasons here, so I am trying to decide which ones I want to leave in pots and bring in for the Winter, since I enjoyed them so much this year!

Coaling, AL(Zone 7b)

I am so glad to have found this thread. I tried to pollinate an Amarylis this year for the first time, and I don't know if it got pregnant or not. But the flower has only recently started to die back, so we'll see... Fun to hear what others are doing..

OK, I am trying to figure out who I owe what and what I have already sent. LOL

I finished packaging up all the seeds awhile ago and I have
5 packs of Lemon-Lime X
3 White Christmas X
2 Ruby Meyer X
3 La Paz X

I am pretty sure I have promised more people than 2 for RM and probably more than 3 for LP. I hadn't listed WC before so I am OK on that. worried about LL too.

So if you can tell me what you have asked for and when you posted (want to be fair) I will put your name on the pack and either send or wait for your envie.

If any of you are in the St. Patrick's day swap, you will already receive LL cause that's all I sent. LOL I know it was supposed to be a secret, but you know me!!

Susan
=^..^=

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Zarcanat, March 1rst, 10:06 AM

Lemon Lime and Ruby Meyer x LaPaz

Enveloppe left this morning

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Susan I have several preg but not ready. Beautiful pink,picotee, red lion, apple blossom, my cybisters did not take. except chico and when the wind took out my green house it cut the stalk. If you have any left save them and we can trade . Janet Iwould love to have Orange and others so please say me some too.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Will do Cindy.

Coaling, AL(Zone 7b)

OK, I am pretty certain I have a pregnant amaryllis -- how long until seed pods are ripe? I don't want to have them burst all over and not be prepared to catch the babies (so to speak).

9kittymom -- I'm in the St Paddy's swap and cannot wait to get some of your seeds! Fun Fun!

Elizabeth

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It will take a few weeks...they will turn yellow when they are about read to pop open.

Believe me you'll know when they are ready. LOL they start to split open and if really ready when you touch them they will fall all over the place. But they are easy to pick up, just don't have a fan going. They are like little pieces of black paper.

I still don't have any sprouts from my little roots, but they are still there. Just can't wait.

Susan
=^..^=

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Wishing you all the best of luck.

I did this last year. A fellow trader traded me some seeds, she said they were older seeds. I had 'ok' germination, but not much luck in survival. But I have to admit, I wasn't trying very hard, I let the babies dry out a couple times and lost them. I have 3 surviving now. It has been 'fun' watching the leaves get thicker. LOL What I really want to do is dig up the bulb and see how big it is getting, but with only 3 I dare not. Only 2 more years till they bloom. :o)

They are very slow to get started, which you seem to be finding out 9kitty. But don't let them dry out, but not soggy either.
Also, I did a lot of reading to see if I should let them do dormant like I do the big Amaryllis bulbs I have. I found several sources that say to keep watering them the first year. The second year you can let them go dormant.
toofew~

An Amaryllis picture.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.