What a surprise in the winter

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a greenhouse outside and I have a mini greenhouse inside of it for all of my cuttings. I have not paid much attention to it lately because it basically takes care of itself. But today I was doing some cleaning in the greenhouse and I looked over at the side that I never see and there was a flower. And I thought "what in the world is that?" Well after opening it up and taking the plants out I found these two buried in the back. So I took them out and I was so shocked to see a nice looking flower in the cold winter. I posted them here because I think they are an annual but I'm not sure. I did have some of these growing last summer. Does anyone know what they are and if they will keep growing and can they be planted outside this spring?

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is another photo of them. I had to prop them up because they were laying over to the side because they did not have room to grow.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh Jesse,What a wonderful surprise.They look like Impatiens to me.So pretty.I don't know but hopefully they will be alright until spring.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That is an Impatien walleriana http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2301/index.html and they come up in my garden all the time. It will be a summer annual for you in NC, but, a perennial in tropical climates or greehhouse conditions.

Here are some growing wildly at a local nursery.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Jesse: THey are a nice surprise, aren't they!

I have some red and salmon impatiens in ground in my garden that have come back 3 summers in a row! I'm in Z8 and they don't act like annuals here at all. With enough moisture, they'll probably be fine till time to put them outside.

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.