Dawe's visit

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pulled into Dawe's Arboretum today between a visit to the CENTS show in Columbus and a different obligation in Zanesville. Spent all of 30 minutes there, but did see some nice things. Primarily fruit from hollies and flowers on witchhazels, but one or two miscellaneous other things too. This is H. x intermedia "Jelena." I think most of you know how I feel about this plant (hint: I totally love it).

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This is Ilex decidua "Finch's Gold," which was a standout, much more impressive in person than in this picture.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Fruit.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ilex decidua pendula.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hamamelis x intermedia "Carmine Red."

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Alnus glutinosa catkins.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

For three years I have been trying to take a definitive picture of my "Winter Flame" dogwood. I found it today when I downloaded these pictures. My wife took the picture a couple of days ago. BTW, although this shrub is great this time of year, it is not much to look at any other time of the year. In fact, it's pretty ugly. But here it looks good.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Compares favorably with Acer palmatum "Sango Kaku" at Mission Oaks.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ilex opaca "Chief Paduke."

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Oops, forgot the Ilex decidua "Pendula" fruit.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Nice to see"winter interest". One gets a little tired of 'sweet cream icing flowing down' spruce and balsams. As usual great macro shots, Scott. Thanks for sharing. Ken

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Scott, great photos. How long would think the lovely gold fruit on Ilex Finch's Gold would last. The birds quickly ate the gold fruit on my Malus transitoria schmidti Golden Raindrops. I really like your picture of Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku" but I see FF lists it zone 6, which for sure this was not zone 6 this year, tho many years it is. It is an expensive little dude tho.

Donna

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Oooh Scott, these make me drool, especially the witchhazels and hollies. What a beautiful Jelena! It is a spectacular shrub. Did you folks not get any of the ice storm? Has it not been pretty cold there the past week and a half? Of course, we are colder than you here (sigh...). The weather took an abrupt turn weekend before last with the ice storm and subsequent snow, and the younger witchazels I had in bloom still have flowers buried under 1/2" of ice with snow on top. It was 11 degrees this AM too. Real winter definitely returned to SE MI with a vengeance.

Thanks for the great pictures. BTW, which do you think are the brightest winter-colored dogwoods for our climate? I would like to plant a few of these to cut for winter arrangements. I will have to look for the pics somewhere of some of these winter dogwoods I took in England a few years back. I think those plants may not be hardy here, but the colors were so bright you needed sunglasses to look at them.

I am going to look for Finch's gold too.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Scott, thank you for inviting me overhere; these are marvelous pictures!!! I ordered a Jelena, it should be here tomorrow. I am very excited about it. Did you read in the other thread my son was born in the same place as Jelena?
Would you have pictures of Jelena in other seasons?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No ice here in Cincy, just a skiff of snow. The same for Columbus. I like my Winter Flame for what it is. I especially think this would be very nice in a mass, off on the other side of a field or lawn to be admired after a snow fall. We saw some "Arctic Fire" on the OSU campus in a garden that Alan Bloom designed. In fact, I think it was the most used shrub in the garden. The stem color seemed about the same as WF. The shrub might have had a more upright form, but it could've been also that the plants were younger. I don't know anything about hardiness except that mine has never faltered (to -12F) and the Columbus plants looked fine. I think they have neeny in situ for only a year, maybe two, however. Unfortunately, I didn't take any shots of "AF." I should have.

Mrs. Colla, Yes, I saw your note about "Jelena." A friend of mine, and tree author, Guy Sternberg, who used to frequent these boards, recently told me that he was served his first Belgian beer by Jelena herself, when he was there to visit the de Belders. The plant was developed by Robert de Belder and named for his wife. I don't have any photos of "Jelena" foliage, specifically, but I do of other witchhazels. I can post those if you are interested. They all look about the same, although some show a rounder leaf more like H. mollis than H. japonica. All have good fall color.

Scott

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

How great to meet the person the plant was named after!!!! Yes, I would like to see the pictures of the other hazels, please.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ask, and y'all shall receive.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

OH! Beautiful!!!!! WE want more! :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ask and you's shall receive.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And then I found this one of Jelena, which I forgot I had, but like very much. Taken in June.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

her leaves remind me of my favorite tree in Belgium, the Fagus sylvatica L.
Very beautiful, thank you for sharing these great photos!!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is Hamamelis Intermedia 'Hiltingbury' I photographed in the Seattle Arboretum.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Can we skip summer and go from spring to autumn please? :0)

Great pictures!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Winter is not too exciting yet here in Montana. That is Arnolds Promise on the left and center. No blooms yet. I can't wait.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Those hollies are what make me regret my Zone 5 domicile. Maybe, just maybe, if I site them right, I can have something like that someday.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

They are beautiful. . . made me want to zip on the snowsuit and sit in the snow with thermos of something hot and see what might eat the berries.
Kevin, that 'Chief Paduke' is supposed to make it in zone 5. . maybe in a protected spot?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Something certainly eats those berries. Under a nearby deciduous tree with great sweeping low branches (which discourages would-be mowers and weed whip operators), there was a veritable forest of Ilex opaca seedlings. Given the numerous wonderful cultivars growing within 500 feet all around, there's no telling how many incredibly beautiful potential new cultivars are growing away there. Someday, no doubt, they'll meet their fate from the cruel string of a more motivated grounds employee.

Scott

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

My Arnolds Promise bloomed late last fall so I suppose I won't get any more bloom this spring. Wonder what it will do.

Steve yours look good for this time of year.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a transplant from a nursery in Seattle. It I thought was to bloom in late winter or early spring. The one on the left is ready to bloom. Who knows. The only ones I am worried about are the parrotias behind the Hamamelis.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

My Parrotias have not lost any of their leaves, look kinda ugly now.

Concord, NH

"Something certainly eats those berries."

Last weekend I had cedar waxwings and robins stripping the holly branches (blue princess, I think) that I had put in a halfbarrel with white pine and spruce. One small barrel, and it must have had 30 birds in and around it for 20 minutes or so. Not a single berry left now.

Great pictures, Scott!

Soferdig - I'd love to hear how your Parrotias and Hamamelis do for you. I've just put in one H. x intermedia 'Daine' this past fall (got a good price on a large bush, the only one I've ever seen at a nursery in this area) to see how well it survives and blooms, and I've been considering Parrotia and Stewartia pseudocamellia/koreana.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I can only hope but Parrotia 'vanessa' is supposed to make it here so I am starting with 2 of them. They are only 4' high and 5 gallon pots so we shall see. Donna has a big one on her garden and she is in a similar zone. The Hamamelis 'Arnolds Promise' is supposed to be the most hearty and I have planted 2 of them. The area I have put them is sunny/shade with a soil that I have built especially for them and cornus species for understory woodland. This is my biggest Vanessa.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Claypa--there are Ilex opaca growing at the Morton Arboretum, quite old ones, but they are stuck in the shade protected by other conifers. That makes them open growing. I have a number of them planted in shady areas. I just wish they could hold up in sun where I could get that dense solid growth as shown in Scott's picture. Somewhere on this property must be a spot that has full sun except for winter months, where it has total shade(that is, spots that aren't already taken by other hollies, Magnolia grandiflora, Cryptomeria, japanese maples, etc.)

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Wait, wait, wait. You have Cryptomerias. Holly shmolly, I'll take a nice Cryptomeria any day of the week. I have that site you speak off Kneevin. Now tell me more about those Cryptos. Nice and slow.

Willis

Peoria, IL

Scott,

It's nice to see some real-time pictures of my favorite arboretum. I'm pretty impressed with how well the fruit of I. decidua 'Finch's Gold is holding up. It also has a nice, tree like habit. 'Jelena' is looking good, too. I haven't taken the time to contribute much lately as I run through here quickly between jobs. I was going through some pictures of the Dawes from 2005 and found the one attached from the day before the Southern Plant Conference.

Thanks again for the memories,
Ernie

P.s. I'm going to be in Loo-uh-vul next week and if I get a spare minute, I'll pester VV and see what he's up to ;-)

Thumbnail by malusman
Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Ernie, See if you can get him to open the wine, all I've ever seen is the "cat" guarding the display. Ken

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful picture, Ernie! And try to get a sample or two of Mrs. VV's homemade Old Country chocolates. It might just be possible for me to spin down there at the right time to meet up with you guys. I need to deliver something to Viridis Volley anyway.

Scott

Peoria, IL

kandl,

I guess he's in luck because [mutter, mumble] I can barely choke the stuff down. One time I went over to a customer/doctor's house after work to help him ID some plants that he'd been buying from us and others. He's adopted me as his personal sales person even though I'm not in sales. Well, anyway, afterward he showed me his wine cellar, 12' x12' and 7' high, the 4 walls covered by full wine racks and then a 4 sided one in the middle of the room. There must have been $40,000 worth of wine in there. He pulled out an '87 Dietrich-Zimmerman and a couple from the 90's for gifts. I mumbled some kind of thanks and then he said I had to try one of his favorites, name I don't remember. That's the longest drink that I've ever encountered. The warmer it got, the worse it tasted. I should have just tossed it off right away but didn't want to seem too rude. Hmmm.........I seem to have wandered off on a tangent.

Scott, it looks like Saturday P.M. is when I'll have time to meet up with you guys if it works out. Now, cookies sound good!

Regards,
Ernie

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Here's a real-time shot of Ilex decidua Finch's Gold from Bernheim Arboretum this afternoon (despite cloudy rainy yuck).

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.