Native plants for timbers edge

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

My husband and I have been helping my dad for 2 summers to clear out invasives in his (and my moms) timber. The land had a cleared area already where they built their house, but my dad thinks there's too much turf at the edge of the timber. I agree, but I'm not sure which plants would be best to plant at the outer most edge of the timber, which would be behind the house. The area would get about or more than half a day of sun and the soil is good draining dirt, no clay. Anyone with some suggestions? I've already planted Sambucus, but I need a lot more plant suggestions. Wildlife friendly and native are a must.

Below is a portion of the area that needs woodland edging plants.

Terry

Thumbnail by terryr
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I happen to have the Society for Ecological Restoration (Ontario Chapter)'s native plant guide to hand. As well as Sambucus canadensis, it recommends planting:

American Highbush Cranberry (Viburnum trilobum)
Ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius)
Witch Hazel (Hammamelis virginiana)
Serviceberry (Amelanchier)
Glaucous Honeysuckle (Lonicera dioica)

Hope this helps,
June

Peoria, IL

In addition to the woody plants that June recommended you may want to try the woodland edge seed mix from Prairie Nursery.

Very good suggestions! Thank you!

Rosedale, MD

Why would you want to clear that?
It's beautiful

Timber is a word that can also mean wooded land. Whether that be coniferous/deciduous or woodland/savanna/forest is left kind of open when the term is used these days.

I don't think they're clearing out any of the indigenous/native species that belong from their "timber". They're probably removing European Buckthorn, Japanese Honeysuckle, and the likes which are noxious weeds and invasive species. It takes time to do that and once the land is disturbed you really do need to begin planting back fast or else the invasion process starts all over again. In reading what she has typed, it looks as if they want to plant back as well as reduce the lawn. I'm no fan of lawns these days and that woodland edge mix looks really nice.

They'll be much better off in the long run removing the non-native invasives and noxious weeds because those can take over an understory in no time flat if left to their own devices. They can form dense thickets and monocultures which block sunlight to the ground which in short... inhibits/prohibits the native species from being able to regenerate themselves. Some of the non-native invasive species produce chemicals that kill off native species of plants.

Rosedale, MD

well i couldnt tell the invasive plants by the picture, i just saw plants
surrounding a beautiful setting
what about a mimosa?

The setting will become even more beautiful as the years go by and they plug along cleaning up the property. Once they get out the ickies and the nasties, the native plants will be able to better establish. Once the native plants begin re-establishing, all the NA native wildlife comes back. It's about balance.

Odd that you should ask about Mimosa. Beautiful tree.

Mimosa is documented as being invasive. The scientific name for the plant is Albizia julibrissin. Mimosa/Silktree is not native to North America. It is native to southern and eastern Asia. There are considerably more appropriate plants for NA wildlife than Mimosa.
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/alju1.htm

Thanks Equil for speaking for me while we were out of town ;)

Yes, the plants being removed are invasive species. Between the Japanese Honeysuckle and the Multiflora Rose, it has formed dense thickets that you can't walk thru. Some native trees are being removed so they aren't so close together....my dad's idea, not mine. It's still not being "clear-cut", it's just getting out the nasties and allowing the native flora to once again take over. The edge however, needs indigenous shrubs and small trees that probably once were all there, that aren't there now because it was clear-cut before they ever bought the land.

Oakton, VA(Zone 7a)

terryr, we moved to a house built on a lot in a similar situation as your parent's albeit much smaller. After I removed all the invasive non-natives, I worked with an arborist to determine which trees to take out. He said it was a good idea. Even native trees can be crowded or weakened by various factors and will not be healthy. It's opened the lot up to larger variety of native plant options. And I think that's a good thing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.