Penstemon

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I have a Penstemon (at least that's what the plant tag says) and it doesn't die completely back in the winter. This is the second winter where the majority of it has stayed green and even the flowers are still somewhat on it. (They just don't fall off.) It has now fallen over due to a heavy snowfall (quite unusual for us). Should I just it back to the ground, just above the ground...?

It's supposed to be 'chocolate' penstemon.

Thanks,
Gwen

Northeast Harbor, ME

My rule of thumb, up here in the land of the dawn, is if it doesn't die before the the 3rd killing frost, why care? Once the ground thaws out, cut it then. You'll never run into problems at that point.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi - here in 5a, it dies back, but always has some evergreen foliage on it, even under the snow. I cut back the dead stalks to the ground, but don't cut off the foliage (usually about 1 - 3" high), and it grows back beautifully in the spring. - Dax

Here it is blooming in early June last year -

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 4:03 PM

Thumbnail by dax080
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

ooooo, Dax, that's a pretty one!

Gwen

Manns Harbor, NC

Okay, so I'm in 8A - do you guys know why I am having such a hard time getting penstemons to grow?

Hi again - the one above is called "Husker's Red" and I've got one coming called Pagoda - I'll have to look for "Chocolate" - sounds beautiful.

Serene222 - tell us more, and maybe we can help out - first - what type of soil is it in? Sun exposure?

Dax

Manns Harbor, NC

I live on the sound just west of the outer banks (nags head) north carolina. The soil is sandy but I try to soak all my beds at least once a week in the hottest part of the summer. I've tried them in several beds - small ii, mesa, elfin pink, rocky mountain. The only one I have gotten to thrive is Husker's Red. All in full sun. Any ideas/

Hi, Serene - Here's a link that gives some good info on the needs of different varieties of Penstemon. They are quite particular about where they will thrive, dependent on the type. Hope this helps - Look for the section, For the Gardener, on the main page - Dax

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~awolfe/Penstemon/Penstemon.html

This message was edited Feb 3, 2007 9:00 AM

Manns Harbor, NC

Dax, Thank you so very much. How on earth do you keep up with all the different flower needs. Does anyone have a simple system out there? Or do you just do trial and error and memorize as you go? Sue

Well, I kind of do - I started about three years ago, and used DG to ask folks about the longest blooming, easiest maintenance plants. I also looked for drought resistant and deer resistant, and everyone here was of great assistance. That's why I only have Husker's Red for penstemon, one of the easiest to grow. And then, when you work with them, you just kind of memorize the ones you like the most, and which are the ones that give you the most trouble for the way they look. It's amazing how much you learn - and quickly!

And now I'm refining, and moving, and enjoying, and getting a little more difficult plants.

This year I'm going to try a few roses -

Here's my Garden Tour if you'd like to see where a gardener can go in three years - Oh, I also retired, which made a BIG difference! Dax

http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/m/dax080/

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Dax, all I can say is WOW! Amazing garden(s). I look forward to seeing the new farmstead garden you're currently working on. The setting is lovely.

Gwen

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Serene - As you also live close to the ocean, your plants need to be hardy for that enviorment. Suggest you do soil samples and see what you are actually working with. Just because a plant is zone hardy, doesn't mean that a plant is hardy for the type of environment it will have to actually live in. Ocean front is very different from the midwest plains which is very different from mountainous areas which is very different from tropical areas (and all the other climates in between). When you research plants, make sure you find out the native habitat. If it's very different from yours, chances are the plant will not do as well. Some plants adapt very well, some others have too specific requirements to do well at all.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dax, that was most impressive to look at all your journal photos and posts. i enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to seeing your Woodland area come to pass. Thanks for inviting us in.

Donna

Thanks much - I know that everyone has a different creative approach to their gardening, and all gardens are uniquely their own per all the conditions that exist there - one of the things I love so much about this ART! - But thought I'd offer some pics for ideas - particularly for beginning gardeners. I remember seeing pictures of combinations I just loved, and immediately stealing the ideas for my own beds - still do it in fact - one of the wonderful things about this gardening community is that everyone is completely generous with their advice and ideas - I'm so glad you enjoyed my little corner. If you like anything and want more info on what the combination might be, just let me know - Dax

Below is a little different pic of the school for some of the other citizens who love the garden -

Thumbnail by dax080
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have two small pools, one is about 12' x 9', and the other is somewhat smaller. have been in place for 12 years now. I do enjoy them. I moved 3 goldfish from the pools at my other place to this one, so I know those three are about 14 years old. Have probably 40 fish in the large pond and 1 3 yr. old Koi. the other pond is for the toads and frogs. I

If I can do so I will post a photo.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

Oh Donna - how beautiful! We may be kindred spirits, although you have much more experience - I also have two ponds of about the same size as yours are - but I just fell in love with gardening about 4 years ago. I'd love to see more photos, as I'm sure the other newbies would like also. Per the fish, we are having temps consistently in the negatives here (today - 7), and I am becoming concerned. They have only weathered one winter - and it wasn't nearly as cold as this last year. I think I'll go over to Water Gardens forum and ask about them - Dax

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I just received some of the "Huskers Red" in the mail today. Glad to hear they are easy to grow.

Dax, do you SW them or direct sow?

btw - your gardens are gorgeous. You have A LOT of property!!

Hi, tcs1366 - So far, I have not direct sowed at all - I guess I'm too new and inexperienced to trust it will work. At the beginning I bought a few of those "rolls" of seed and tried them, and they were a huge disappointment, so I haven't done anything. Although this last Fall I did direct sow some MoonFlower seeds - we'll see how they do in the spring. And yes, I have close to three acres - from woodland to full sun - so I've got ALOT of playing room. I thank my dad, who bought the property in the middle of the city in the early 70's, and then just let the houses grow up around it. Here's a long view that gives a better picture of the scope to the northwest - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
West Jordan, UT

I think your problem with Penstemons may well be humidity. I live in arid Utah and they do really well for me here. You may also have issues due to soil ph. Is your soil acidic? Most of the soils in that part of the country are. Penstemons may prefer the more alkaline soils in my area.

Don't dispair though. Joy Creek Nursery in Scappose, Oregon has specially bred some of the most stunning penstemons you've ever seen. They have similar conditions to what you describe so their 'kissed' series penstemon may do quite well in your garden. As a general rule, the flowers are bigger than that species and the colors will knock your socks off. Unfortunately for me, I can't grow these particular penstemons here but I'd bet you'll have great luck with them. I've seen these IRL at Joy Creek and they are truely fabulous.

Manns Harbor, NC

Bindersbee, Thank you for the information. I will check with Joy Creek and do some soil samples, Serene222- Sue

Gilbert, AZ(Zone 10a)

Just wanted to show off my desert Penstemon. It was a Home Depot special 2 year ago and I did not note the cultivar. It is a beauty though. Any guesses?

Thumbnail by farmerjohnaz
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

farmerjohn, Beautiful penstemon, great photo. Sure wish someone could identify. would love to grow one like that one.

Donna

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

Farmerjohn, your penstemon looks a lot like P. superbus. Penstemon are a hard lot to ID from just photos and I don't know enough about them to make more than just a guess. Beautiful photo though!

(edited to correct spelling)

This message was edited Mar 21, 2007 10:14 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.