great blue heron

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

This very , very busy heron spend around 5 minutes on just walking from left to right with his "dinner". I took this photo last summer in the Ridgefield Wildlife National Refuge in Washington.
I dunno why, i felt sorry for the frog :(

I guess You have to feel sorry for someone being someone`s else food sorce. I f you can belive it, people do raise and release butterfly`s and they really wish a lot`s of a bad things upon our fethered friends...LOL

Thumbnail by birdscrazy
Marlton, NJ

Oh that is sad looking! Very good shot!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Excellent photo, but I too feel badly for the little frog. Good thing I don't have to kill my own beef, chicken, or fish. I'd be a vegetarian for sure.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I know... for the moment there I felt ready to go to the rescue poor thing, but then I was thinking, gosh !! before I even put my leg into the water, heron and his dinner will be gonne already. But I still feel "off" about it, You know how this works sometimes , you getting nice pic of very bad sytuation.....

Well, it's just the food chain in action. And you did get a marvelous photo!

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

This is so funny my hubby and I were just talking , that if I would live on the farm, I would never kill any of my cows or chickens, actually I would probably feed them to much and they would be then "FATTY , OBESE and HAPPY " Oregon cows....lol

But for now I m not even vegeterian yet !!! :(

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Boy, I feel the same way. Lucky for me, I'm a city girl and I don't have to think about it. But sometimes I do think about it, and wonder how anyone could do it, and then I feel very sorry for the people that have to do it for a living, and feel I should become a vegetarian, and then I smell a steak on the grill.... I've often told my DH that I would love to live on a farm, where I could have animals around, and wide open spaces to garden and do my thing, but the animals would all have names and they would live their lives out there. And he reminds me how I named all the fish in our 55 gallon aquarium, and then when Dolly or Tubby got sick, I would have to treat the whole aquarium to try to save them. And of course, they usually died (fish are bad about that) and I would be very upset... So anyway, he says no way can I name cows, and chickens, etc...
Heck, I can't eat lobster if I see them in a tank. I can hardly eat anything if I see lobsters in a tank!!!!! That is not a selling point.....
Think I'll go hug a tree now.

Oh - forgot - neat picture. I love herons and cranes - my most favorite birds. (I am extremely fond of frogs too...)

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Ceejaytown !!!!!....LOL naming all the fish...:) I have stomack cramps from laughing over here !!! Back , when I did rehab on wild birds we were laughing , that we should actually name it , all the poor meal and wax worms , since some people were raising them , (much cheaper then ordering , but stinks !!!!!!) .
Husband of one of the rehabers , actually did ask us, how can we do rehab on birds and , raise and feed thee worms and then give them to the birds....we did chase him out of the room!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!
While we're on a roll here - I used to be a docent at a zoo. I was leading a group of girls on a tour, and we went into the herpetarium. And staff had just fed the snakes. Now, they raise their own mice to feed the snakes, and baby mice (pinkies) are fed to the smaller snakes, larger mice to the larger snakes. Don't ask me what they feed the python - I don't wanna know! Well, mice are cute. White mice are really cute. I was told that staff thumped them on the head to kill them or at least knock them out so that they wouldn't suffer. These girls' eyes go wide when they see the mice. Then some of them start coming to and moving around. There are screams now, and then one of the girls is calling me a murderer. And here I am, trying to keep from crying! Not a good day.
And now, good night....

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

If I was there I would have been the one screaming. I am such a bleeding heart when it comes to that.

I remember when I was young, we ate a lot of beef then and loved every bite, I asked my DM what beef was. Of course, she answered, COW. I almost had a hemorrhage of green paint. As I remember, I didn't stop chewing...LOL. My husband says that cows run when they see me coming.. He's probably right.

It's time for my nite-nite too. Hope my DH has stopped snoring or I might be back.

Hap

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Nice action shot!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

What a great shot.
I love these birds even if I do have to screen in my fish pond
LOL
A

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

You might find that vegetarianism is an easy, comfortable place to be! I'm vegetarian for all of the reasons posted above. A few years ago I quietly took a shot at it for two weeks, no announcement for fear it was a passing fancy, and never looked back.

That's not to say I don't occasionally partake rather than make a big deal of it, especially at Thanksigiving with the organically raised free-range turkey I buy locally, but it's funny: Much as I sometimes miss meatloaf & a couple of other things like chicken pot pies, and as good as a sizzling steak smells, the desire to actually eat it is no longer there.

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.