Pileated Woodpecker - Deja Vu

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

As promised in an earlier topic, I am re-introducing some of my Pileated Woodpecker photos taken over the last three (3) years. Especially since we now have a thread specifically for bird enthusiasts as well as Dave's Garden having quite a few new subscribers.

I was blessed with the extraordinary opportunity to photograph them up close .... all within a hundred yards of my residence. It all started one day when I heard what sounded like something flapping its wings in our kitchen. I quickly looked out and there he was (outside) looking into the bay window. That began what has turned out to be my continuing addiction to the challenge of photographing the majestic Pileated Woodpecker. Generally, I have had a window of opportunity between March and June which coincides with their nesting and mating season. Hope you enjoy !!!

Photo #1 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #2 .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #3 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #4 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #5 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #6 .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #7 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #8 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #9 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #10 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

OMG!!! These are GORGEOUS pics Linth!!! Thank you SO much for posting these.

I just love the Pileated !!! I hope to see some soon in person.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

No smashed windows, I hope!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Incredible, Linth - even better than I had imagined when you talked about them!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

totally awesome pics Linth

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Linth those pics are awesome !!!!!!!!!!

I m still laughing , I had to call my hubby to show him this woodpecker, especially the pics on the windshield wipes and others , : all over the car. I mean I m still laughing, cause those photos are adorable, but I do realize same time , the poor things use to have NATURE around for them selfs only, ..
Those woodpeckers are magnificent, hope our children will be able to enjoy them and their children too. You are so LUCKY ... Thank You for sharing, that was good birding :)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh I love these photos!! I remember when you posted them last year. I'm so happy to get to look at them again. The subject and the photography are wonderful!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Wonderful photos, linthicum!!! Thanks!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

GREAT pics
This is such a great bird
If one shows up here I can never seem to get a shot of it
It is like they tease knowing just when the shutter goes off so they can move.
Wonderful shots
:)
A

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

truly great shots! i took some recently but he was up so high on a pole, you can barely tell what it is. they are here though. i hear them often and see them occasionally. it's a real treat.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Those are great pictures!! I saw one today, but he was way too fast for the camera!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Great pictures of a fabulous bird! The car shots give you a sense of how big they are. We used to see many of them at our old house - only a few miles from here - but since moving, I haven't seen one. So thanks for sharing those pics!

DebinSC

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Resin, As far as I observed, no damage done. However, while taking a lot of these photos I felt a little (just a little) guilty standing there watching them peck away on the neighbor's car. Where were my priorities ?

Anyway, during the the past three years, I have taken over 500 photos of the Pileated along with quite a few feet of movie film. I will post a final group of photos. I don't want to overdo it .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #12 .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #13 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #14 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #15 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #16 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #17 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #18 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #19 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, lastly, Photo #20 ......

Thumbnail by linthicum
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm in awe and i love #14, just marvelous. thank you!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Linth, really there are no words (I do believe I've said that to you before about other photos!). Glorious pictures!

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Linth!! Have you posted the film to a site? I'd love to see it.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I too am in awe! I plan to be one of those "bumpers" who keeps this thread current just so I don't have any trouble finding it when I feel the need to look at it again lol! Thankyouthankyouthankyou !!!

Thank you all .....

pelletory, I haven't done anything with the film. I was hoping sometime to maybe be able to get some still shots off of the film. I know the quality would probably deteriorate somewhat. I'll have to work on it someday ..... like splice out all of the shaking sections.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Fantastic pics! We have pileated here, but its very rare to see one up that close. I never knew woodpeckers had a car fetish..... I too would like to see the films if you post. Thanks, Becky

Mesa, AZ

Wonderful eye candy, thanks so much! We don't, of course, get them here, but my SIL has a pair on her property in Kent, WA that I can watch when we visit.

thanks again
Susie

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Everytime I see the woodpecker on your car I can hear him thinking "I know there's an easier and less tiring way to get around. I see the humans getting in this and going away. But I can't figure out HOW they get in????"!!
Sharon

Marlton, NJ

Are they shy around people Linth? How close can you get to them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.