Sweetest Spring onions ?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I guess now is the time to plant my seeds for green onions. By the time it warms up, it will be time to set them out as sets.

What are your favorite varieties............really sweet and mild, and where do you get them ? My brother loves the tender sweet green onions......and I'd like some for him.

Are the slender green onions you buy in bunches at the produce market section, the same as scallions ?

And does it matter where I live, if they need to be long day or short day........... or does that just have to do with the bulbing onions ? I don't want them to bulb anyway, just be really sweet.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2007 10:40 PM

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Anyone ?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a good article on salad onions. It was written for commercial growers, but the principles apply to the home garden. My varietal choice would be Vidalia or Texas 1015 for mild sweet flavor. Short day varieties are recommended for areas south of the 36th parallel. Scallions are a type of onion that are not inclined to bulb and are grown to use the green parts also.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C821.htm

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

PeggieK,

"Are the slender green onions you buy in bunches at the produce market section, the same as scallions ?"

We call those 'table onions' or 'green onions. Those can be onions that are pulled before they bulb up or they can be what are called "bunching onions", varieties that never bulb up.

If you are wanting to grow onions just for "green onions" and are not concerned about bulb onions then no, you don't need to be concerned with whether a particular onion is long day, short day, or intermediate.

As for starting from seed, do it now, no doubt. I grow onions from sets and plants and in years past would start from seed, mainly to grow them into sets and pull them, then replant them for Fall planting. I'm not too familiar with your area but if you have seeds then, again, sow now, either in flats or directly in the ground in a well-prepared bed.

If you haven't already bought seed I'd suggest Japanese Bunching onions; those will never bulb up and will give you the green onions you are looking for. Plus, they are not daylength sensitive and can hold in the ground for quite some time.

Yuska, I love those 1015's...delicious! As for "vidalia", PeggieK, you will see those sold as Granex (both in white and yellow), same stock as the famous vidalia but since they aren't being grown in Georgia they aren't allowed to be called that.

Also...if you want to buy some plants to get yourself off to a head start I'd highly recommend Dixondale Farms; I've bought plants from them for years and they will really treat you good!

Shoe

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey, there! Hope everyone is doing well today. I viewed the Dixondale Farms site and noticed they have my favorite (Cippolini), but it's listed as a Long Day, which I think I am not. Would I have to do something special to get it to grow here, or should I just forget it and go with something mre basic for my first try? (I pick them small, it that matters.) I was eying their sampler that includes this one...any comments for me?

And what about shallots? Any info for me??? I just discovered tese - bought them by mistake - and I love them. I've heard that they are hard to grow> In general, I've had pretty bad luck with root veggies, but I'm determined to master 'em. Really determined!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 11:52 AM

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Sequee - If you look at the map on the dixondale site, I think you can grow long day. Whereas I can only grow short or intermediate. Looks like all of NY is in long day area. I bought from dixondale last year and really liked the results. I've ordered again this year. Becky

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, Sequee, you are in a long day area and you should do just fine with the Cippolini. However, if you decide to place an order I just know you're also gonna fall in love with Ailsa Craig. Huge tasty onion (also an heirloom!).

As for shallots, I'd go ahead a give them a try, too. They have a long growing season but if you plant some you can pick them at the green top stage in about 2 months after setting them out.

Becky, I placed my order from Dixondale last nite! Yay!

Shoe

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

When would I want them shipped?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

When you fill out your order online, they'll have a suggested Ship Date pop up (based on your zip code/area) that they recommend for you. If you want to put it off a week, or have them shipped earlier, you can adjust it.

Shoe

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Cool. Thanks!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks all for the great info. Since time's a wasting, I'd better get busy and get some ordering done if I need to plant them right away. Going to the Dixondale Farms web site right now. See ya !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.