A Miscanthus for a cold zone 5

Northeast Harbor, ME

I recently moved to Maine and most people in these parts have poor luck w/Miscanthus. I do see Miscanthus purpurescens growing well up here but no others. Nurseries don't even seem to carry them around here. Can anyone recommend a cultivar that might be more hardy than the rest. I miss those big beautiful plants.

I'm also going to test Sasa veitchii up here. Wish me luck.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

When we were in Maine for the lobster fest two years ago, I noticed the lack of ornamental grasses. We stopped at a few nurseries, and I asked why, and was told they were not very popular.

No reason you can't grow most of the Miscanthus. But if you're worried about hardiness the Huron series is very hardy, to Z4.

Here's my favorite of the Hurons series:

http://www.waltersgardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=927

I see you are an estate gardener, how exciting. Maybe you can get those Maine people interested in grasses.

Northeast Harbor, ME

I guess I'm just going to have to start planting then. My favorite has alway been Gracillimus. My boss doesn't really like ornamental grasses but at home I've put in a bit or Eragrostis and Leymus. I guess the Miscanthus and Panicus'll be next.

I'm crossing my fingers with a Fargesia that I put in for my boss. She paid a lot of money for it so I hope it works. I put it in a dappled shade spot in the woodland garden.

It's nice living in an area where Little Bluestem is everywhere naturally.

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

Bluestem.ca lists Gracillimus as hardy to zone 4, and he specializes in cold hardy grasses. I'd give it a try.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am in Zone 5a and grow several miscanthus varieties in my yard, where they are completely exposed to brutal winds in winter. (Actually, when I worked with a landscaper years ago, I asked for a garden based on ornamental grasses, particularly miscanthus). I find that certain miscanthus varieties absolutely thrive, while some grow more slowly. The really robust ones are gracillimus ( I have had 8 in the ground for 8 years and they are spectacular - state of the art-elegant yet ironclad). Strictus also does wonderfully, although it can take a while to establish (I would guess four years). I have two, and if you are growing lots of greenery the striping is gorgeous and distinctive. Bluttenwunder is fabulous if you can find it. It blooms earlier than most, does not flop, and matures quickly. I wish I had room for more. Morning Light, on the other hand, although wonderful, took four years to bloom. I do not recommend Goliath - it tends to die out in a year or two. Silberfeder tends to flop after about 5 years (a lovely flop, however). But my biggest surprise is miscanthus floridus (aka giganteus). It's 12 feet tall before bloom, and 14 with the flowers, matures quickly, and is truly zone 4 hardy. It's a bit coarse, but it makes a big old statement. Avoid Silberfeil, because it flops in an unattractive way and has to be staked.

These are wonderful plants. I wish I could have the fun of establishing them all over again.

Do bear in mind that the ultimate width can be a factor. Gracillimus is 30 inches across the base. Silberfeder and Bluttenwunder are 60 inches across the base. It makes a tremendious difference when you are installing them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.