Calla Lilies

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,
As you probably saw they are a couple of Calla lily co-Op's going on right now and it is so hard to resist to see all these wonderful colors.
Well I ordered from both co-Op's because we are in a new place and I am starting to plan my garden,including container gardening.Planning to bring the containers in because I don't want to dig anything up anymore even though I realize they would perhaps multiply better in the ground ?

Has anyone had any luck keeping these for several years ? what about multiplying ?
Would love to find out the best way they will increase especially for the more expensive ones.
Thanks ,stay safe and warm,
Brigitte

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Brigitte,
I have had my callas for 3 years now. They store great. I have the white ones and some yellow California ones. I have not intentionally divided them. The white corms are huge and they yellow ones are fairly small. I almost think the yellow baby corms don't flower their first year - just an observation no facts.

Al

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Al,
GREAT Callas you have there ,they look so healthy and attractive,therefore happy.I imagine your white ones might be the Giant white ? somebody wrote in on another forum that they increase better when they are rootbound ? so I will start mine out in smaller pots.

When are you bringing yours in ? shed ? barn ? basement ? heated ? unheated ? LOL lots of questions.

I have quite a few daylilies,iris,heuchera,some roses overwintering in our cellar right now but haven't overwintered annuals in many years.So I want to get startet with some information and whats best is getting advice from a fellow gardener.

Thanks Al ,
Brigitte
Also ordered some Ranunculus and Dahlia's

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

those are the albomarginita(sp), they really are a great foliage plant. I did have some other generic colored ones a while back that didn't make it, their corms were more like glads than the flattened potatoes. I really don't know about the potting helping - Janett(Wallaby) might know.
Mine are stored in my unheated attic 45-50 degrees until it warms up and then in to the garage until midMay.
I tried ranunculus but couldn't get them going.
I got the dahlias going just fine.LOL

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

One of these years I'm gonna plant some calla lilies - the ones I like are always so expensive. Why is that?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The white ones I have are around a buck a corm. You know I mentioned the glad like corms on the colored ones and I always wondered how they got the color in them, were they crossed with something? I think the fact that the colored ones don't produce as many babies and the seeds are probably untrue causes the price.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

That would make sense Al

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Al,
I think You are probably right thou I haven't found anything to tell me either way.I know with daylilies the seeds do not come true to the parent and EACH seed can produce a different daylily.

Does anyone more knowledgable than me tell me/us if that is true with calla's ? wouldn't that be cool .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.