CLOSED: Which sparrow?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

We have alot of chipping sparrows but this fellow was with 'em this morning and he's a bit different. Anyone know who he is? Distinct yellow dot there by the beak.
TIA,

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Another angle...

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Hebron, KY

Deb,

It's the wonderful little White Throated Sparrow! ;-))

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/683312

Hebron, KY

Deb,

The WTS migrates from the north to the south for the Fall/Winter/Spring. Their song is equally wonderful to hear! So sweet!

Marilyn

Newberry, SC

Hey Deb,
We're right here in Newberry, SC, not far from you. Your bird is a White-Throated Sparrow. Look in your Peterson's Field Guide on page 279. (If you don't have one, it's a must! Mine is Copywirght 1980 By Roger Tory Peterson. It's my bird bible!) We have tons of these birds too. The yellow spot is not always noticable, but I've seen it. Now that we've moved here to Newberry, bird-watchers heaven, this was one of the first birds I had to look up! To me what was most notable was the striped head, I'd never seen that before. But when I looked it up, what gave it away was its white bib.
Francie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

So precious!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marilyn & Francie: Thanks! U guys are quick!
I do have a Peterson's guide, which I misplaced after unpacking from a trip to the beach a few months ago. I've been looking everywhere for it. I could get a new one but mine is full of my notes!
Deb

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

DebinSC:
The bird in your photos is a White-Throated Sparrow. The description from Peterson's Field Guide to Western Birds: "Field marks: Adult: Gray-breasted with white throat patch, striped black and white crown, and yellow spot between bill and eye. Bill blackish."

The yellow spot is the identifying feature. It is visible in both of your photos.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2007 12:57 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

He's so sweet...great pics Deb! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.