January's Daily Weather # IV, Wacky!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well between the citrus freezes in California and the full blown flowering of many trees here in North Florida, the weather's just plain wacky.
Please come by and post often.
We have had some amazing pictures already in 2007.
A neighbor's Brug. Just Loaded!
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Nice brug! Was that picture taken today?

No wind to speak of. Feels warmer than 56F.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 20, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
56 °F / 13 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 38 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the SSE

Yes mam, about an hour ago.
;)

(Zone 5a)

Wow, that is one gorgeous brug - biggest I've seen!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

It is Beautiful! I've never seen any around here.

The suns out & not a cloud in the sky! And it's 40*.
Joey

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

66.9°(F) shed, 51.1°(F) porch, the sun warms the shed. I am greatfull of the suns power when I can harvest it.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!! It is currently snowing out. Small, thin flakes right now but will get the big fat flakes later.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sunrise 8:48
Sunset 5:31

Blooms I thought there would be even a greater difference between our daylight hours..

21 °F / -6 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 16 °F / -9 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the NNW
Pressure: 30.02 in / 1016 hPa
Windchill: 12 °F / -11 °C
Visibility: 15.0 miles / 24.1 kilometers

The Bearpaw Sea never totally disappeared from here. ;) A few hours drive north from here, just past the town of Watrous, is a place you can defy gravity at. Smack in the middle of Saskatchewan lies Little Manitou Lake with an awesome mineral content. The lake water has a salinity of 12%; 3.5 times that of the ocean, and 0.5 percent greater than the Dead Sea in Israel. We've taken dip in the cool lake and in the indoor spa (where the mineral laden water is heated to three separate temperature zones...from somewhat warm to steamy). The water tastes awful, there are little shrimp like creatures in it but, oh my, it's wonderful to float and relax in (sinking in it is pretty difficult).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Interesting. I didn't know you had any salt lakes in Canada.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Kelli it's off the Trans-Canada Highway (#1) so many Canadians aren't even aware of it. ;) : http://watrous-sask.com/history2.htm

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi!!! Well, we've had a pretty day & at the moment it's 30* & Dyson Dark! But ! ....
The National Weather Service has issued a WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY
Virginia counties
Alleghany, Bland, Craig, Giles, Pulaski, Smyth, Tazewell, Wythe
West Virginia counties
Greenbrier, Mercer, Monroe, Summers
I guess we will get a mix of Anything & Evrything!

Kelli, I suppose we are to get your wind, but glad that it's calmed down for you.
Pam, that is really interesting. Thanx for the history ....
Pepper, Snow? Much better than ice, huh?

Have a good evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I've got a trivia question for ya....
What state has the lowest recorded temperature in the Continental U.S.?
a) Montana
b) New Hampshire
c) Wyoming
d) Colorado

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My guesses are either CO or Montana. But I'm biased. I LOVE Montana. Probably would love CO too but haven't been there yet.

As for snow, it is a WHOLE lot better than ice. The only bad thing about it is it covers up the ice that's still left on the roads so you have to be careful driving. A friend of mine has already been out in it and almost had a bad accident in several places. She made it home ok, but says she's staying put for awhile.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Evening all!
Kiska: What a beautiful back drop for berry-picking!
Joey: Love the tree shape.
Sharon: Another beautiful FL sunrise!
Joey: I just noticed my clematis also puttin' out green!

Beautiful day today. Got outside and felt the sun on my face. Ahhhhh!
More on the way tomorrow.
Found this lil' fellow peeking out to warm up.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! Pepper! You can only pick One. :D Do be careful out there!
Deb, he's a cutie.:-) We had sun, but the air had a Bite to it. So I didn't stay out too long.

Joey

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Northwestern Missouri: It's snowing and we have 2 inchs on the ground with 4 to 6 inchs predicted overnight.
Temp. is 29 degrees but does'nt seem that cold since theres not much wind. The kids
are having a blast sledding tonight and have waited for a good snow all winter. Our
snow advisory ends at 9am Sunday.

Cuckoo

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful pictures, Joey and Lilypon!!! I'm going to guess New Hampshire because it seems the least likely. LOL I do know they get a lot of nasty winds there.

It was cool and rainy all day, and that looks like our regularly schedule weather pattern for the next several days. Ho hum... :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well I know the answer as I saw a plaque there. Hint...... Lewis and Clark............

Neat fact the 49th and 50th States both have the same record High Temp of 100 F.

Well we are under a Winter Weather Advisory.
Tomorrow should prove interesting.
Snow/Freezing Drizzle/Rain is supposed to be the day's pattern.... we'll see....

It's 30° and clear now..............

OK another Quiz...
Darius and Todd are not allowed on this one...... when they see the photo they'll probably know why.... lol
What is this?
Picture was shot today. It is a Perennial.
Not the Ivy.......... lol

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

It was –79.8°F (rounded off to –80°F) that was observed at Prospect Creek Camp in northern Alaska on Jan. 23, 1971. The Prospect Creek Camp is located along the Alaska Pipeline, about 20 miles north of the Arctic Circle. The lowest temperature ever recorded in the lower 48 States was –69.7°F (rounded off to –70°F) at Rogers Pass, Mont., on Jan. 20, 1954.

We went from -4* this am to 19* right now. And snow is on the way again. Under a snow advisory for tomorrow.

brrrrrrr

mg

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Whatever is that thing that looks like an artichoke?

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney – so that’s the name! I passed one a couple of months ago that was loaded like that. Stopped, knocked on the door – no one home (figures)! I took a picture, it’s somewhere in the files, have to find it.
Kelli – glad the winds have died down. Oddly quiet now, huh?
Dyson – sounds like you had a nice day (and not dark)!
Pepper – so glad you’re getting the snow you asked for!
Lilypon - That’s a very interesting article. Putting the Little Manitou Lake on the “must see” list.
Deb – your little “Jack” is too cute! (I name all lizards Jack)
Ric – no clue! It’s really pretty tho!
Morning_Gayle – glad I wasn’t around when it got that cold!
I can’t imagine –79.8 much less -69…brrrr doesn’t quite cover it!

Today...Partly cloudy in the morning...Then mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. High 71. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Taken yesterday..

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning all!

Another sunny calm day here, current temp. 23°F.

Thanks Blooms - Selma's recital went very well ...... no bad nerves like last time :-)

Joey - My guess would be Montana without having a clue to the right answer ...... I'm not knowledgeable enough to know where Louis and Clark wandered through .......

Ric - I'm stumped what is that plant? Only thing I can think of is some kind of lilie - but the leaves don't look quite right ......

Another photo from yesterday around sunrise (11 am)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Pam - great photo - that lake sounds like a very interesting place to visit :-)

Rann - your pictures look like paintings! So glad Selma's recital went well. I forgot to ask. What piece of music did she perform?
Sidney - have you been to the new mall by JIA? It's still being constructed, it's huge. I don't know if you ever went to Spanky's (great seafood), it closed last month. An Italian restaurant is going in in it's place. Sandy Bottoms closed also (more condos). Lot's of growth here. Afraid we might be running out of land :(

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well they actually got an Winter Weather Advisory 'almost' right.....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sharon - unless you're familiar with the Suzuki violin books I doubt you'd be familiar with it. She's in book 4 and played one of the Seitz concertos (no.5 1st movement) which is the 2nd piece in the book.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Morn'in everyone. Woke up to a winter wonderland here in the heartland. Heavy Snow Warning in effect for awhile longer(9am). We have 4 inches on the ground this morning. A Hazardous Weather Outlook is in effect today and tonight by NOAA. A winter mix forecast of snow this morning then freezing drizzle this afternoon and tonight. Area total accumulations of 4 to 7 inches possible. Currently it's 30 degrees with light snow/fog/ mist mixture.
Church was just cancelled and my kids will be happy sledding again today. Looks like I'll be out there spinning around some too! My oldest daughter is wanting me to go pick up a bunch of her friends in my truck so they can sled and hang out together today. I'm glad I filled my bird feeders yesterday morning because they are hitting the feeders hard this morning. Have a good day everyone.

Cuckoo

(Zone 5a)

Ric - looks like winter has arrived there ......

Cuckoo - sounds like a fun day ahead for your kids :-)

This message was edited Jan 21, 2007 3:12 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep FINALLY!
Hopefully the snow will stay around a bit to protect the ground.

On the Photo.... It is edible.... well they eat it in Japan.... but is not a vegetable or bulb..... the mature leaves will be at least 2 1/2 feet across........ and it's obviously hardy here......

Ric

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Glad everyone enjoyed reading about "Lake of the Healing Waters"/"the Lake of the Good Spirit." or the "Carlsbad of Canada". ;) Trees have since been planted near the beach and campsites now (gotta break that prairie view ;).

18 °F / -8 °C
Sunny
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 14 °F / -10 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the West
Pressure: 30.26 in / 1025 hPa (Falling)
Windchill: 6 °F / -15 °C

I think the only reason apple trees do well here is that we don't have a lot of rain during the winter (but lately we have been pushing it).

Seems strange seeing so many south of here having winter arrive......but I just have to look at the weather channel to see that the deep freeze has settled over eastern Canada for awhile now. Todd's little corner of the Atlantic was hit by a weather bomb. I'm not sure if St. John's was hit hard but many there are gonna be incredibly sick of shoveling now.

Rannvieg congrats to Selma! Ü and I love the colours in your sunrise. I knew your sunrise would come much later then mine. I still remember the dark, dark days living in Inuvik......but the coming back to the light seemed to move along quickly there (mind you when you go down to one minute of daylight the changes seem miraculous).

Ric I have no idea but will be watching for the answer! :)

Deb lol winter and lizards crawling around just doesn't seem right. Where do they go if you really get a cold snap?

Joey how did the day go weather-wise there?

Sunrise here yesterday morning (heading east to Regina). The blizzard had new snow by the time it hit Moose Jaw and the further east more snow was left behind (thank goodness). West of here to the Alberta border tho isn't white however.

Trees were planted along the #1 to slow down the drifting across the highway. My aunt made a number of trips overseas to England after the war to visit friends she had made (saw many of the trees planted along roads there) and afterwards she pushed the government for them to be planted along the highway between Moose Jaw and Regina.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pam :-) That is a beautiful sunset :-) Must be a good feeling to drive along there and know those beautiful trees are there because of your aunt :-) The light seems to come fast these days about 5 min. a day ...... a minute of daylight would be too little for me - the 4 hours of daylight is bad enough! Are you far enough north to get the bright nights in summer???? For me that makes the darkness totally worth it :-) How long did you live in Inuvik??

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Ric, well then, an artichoke wasn't so verrrry far off the mark.
it's some kind of skunk cabbage?
Lilypon glad some snow has arrived... ground will need the water come spring.
and snowing again in Missouri. winter is bginning to be more normal again.

It's 23* - dhilly.
No storminess, though the mountains have disappeared in the clouds.
the sky has disappeared into clouds also.
We are forecast to go to 35*
Humidity has reached an amazing 49%

That's it folks, going back under my covers and watch the white hatted cowboys beat the black hatted ones. ~Blooms

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Enjoy the cowboy movie Blooms :) Wonder who will win???

Rannvieg I lived up there for 6 months.... ~Oct to March (can't remember the exact dates now but it was 6 months). Come summer it's almost 24 hours of sun (minus a minute or two).

Blooms I'm so glad to.....my Dad's farm is somewhere out in the distance of the above picture (about 30 miles from the spot I took the picture from).

The trees along the #1 were planted in the mid 80's. Some have been snapped off just above ground (and anywhere else all the way up) when strong prairie spring winds come and then new ones are replanted. They are in the ditches so they get a lot more moisture then they would get planted on the flatland.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Now that makes sense. Here, the powers that be [be stoopid, that is] decided to cut down the trees that were growing along or near the irrigation ditch south of town. Apparantly these trees were drinking the irrigation water without paying a fee. Now of course the ditch has no shade against the hundred-plus sun and therefore a measurable amount of the water evaporates into the air. ?? this makes sense??

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

At work now......Blooms I can see you having a real problem with that. While the trees do take up moisture, the water surrounding them lasts a lot longer in the ditch than it does in the areas where there is no shade.

They really make a huge difference when a blizzard is blowing (even without leaves). When you hit their shelter it's like a claustrophobic blanket has been lifted off your windshield.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2007 1:21 PM

Ric I was guessing Lettace.
Here it's 73.0 °F / 22.8 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/h from the ENE
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Here is my brug.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The internet finally came back (been down all day), freezing rain the front porch is slippery - 32.4°(F) shed, 38.7°(F) porch dreary.

Ric – I’d say they were right this time! Brrr!
Pam – I love the trees and the sunset. I think it’s wonderful your Aunt pushed to have the trees planted. You must feel pride in that :)
Blooms – The “powers that be” can be pretty asinine at times. “Ours” keeps cutting out and down the very thing people vacation here to see. The 300+ year old trees, marshes, natural vegetation, etc. Then complain that the wildlife is in their backyard. Very irritating – at least to me…

We are at 55 right now.
Tonight...Partly cloudy and warmer with a 30 percent chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

I think Boo is trying to tell me something...:)

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lilypon: No idea where them lil' lizards go when it gets cold. I wondered that myself this morning as the promised sun today didn't show. A really dull gray day. Not cold, round 50. But not a "jack" in sight! :)

Our local weather fellow says El Nino is the reason for our mild winter. Says we're getting wind off the pacific instead of the cold stuff that normally comes down from Canada. It's hard for me to imagine you all having snow. Even stranger, our forecast low tonight (50) is the same as the high was for today. ??

Cuckoo: Sledding! Never had the opportunity. :) I hope you'll post pics.

Deb
PS/Gus enjoyed the warm sun yesterday...

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL I think Boo is looking pretty disgusted over something. Your weather perhaps....he must have that *southern* gene that hates cold r. ;)

Sidney that Brug is looking loverly (and LOADED:)........it's a rare summer here that mine will have just one flush that looks like that.

I am pretty proud of my Aunt and her idea (especially when we are driving that-a-way in near blizzard conditions).......she's passed on now but everytime I see those trees I think of her. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.