propagation of hydrangeas from stem cuttings

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

I found this great link on how to propagate hydrangeas from stem cuttings, TERRIFIC pictures for each step.
wanted to pass it on to you all. (i can't wait till spring so i can take a stem from my mom's hydrangea bush)

http://www.nantuckethydrangea.com/propagation.html

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

SJ, That's about as good of an instructional article as one can find. Thanks. I propagate many hydrangeas. Since I live in a greenhouse climate, it's very easy to do. The stems are predisposed to root, so if we don't kill them, they will root. I do suggest that you "undermist" rather than "overmist". Remember, the cutting roots under ground, not above ground. The medium just needs to be moist. I'm not disagreeing with the author, I'm just trying to demonstrate how easy it is to do. I just buy a good potting soil mix, water it well, and stick the cuttings in it. Cutting the leaf pairs in half is something I do. It's really fun to propagate plants. Great article.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That's a great site...thanks for positng. I am so terrible with doing things like that I may order their 2 inch rooted cuttings. Anyone ever done this?

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i never got rooted cuttings before levilyla. but i'm going to try this type of propagation on my mom's this spring/summer
stephanie

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

sjones....thanx...super method and explanation...lookin forward to tryin it out. Still in the 30s and 40s here on the windy prairie.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah, great article. I made a bunch of cuttings last year from the article. They were my first ever and all rooted! BTW, I really like the vendor too for hyds. Check him out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.