Smile from ear to ear...

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Went up to the barn today... surprisingly, Alee allowed herself to be caught rather easily. Stood in the cross ties while I removed at least the top layer of mud from her - you pat her and little *poofs* of dust go flying up - oh well, too cold to take care of it now, no biggie. But found where she likes to be scratched... she nearly hums, with her half closed eyes.

Saddled her up - she was pretty frisky, took her into the arena - OMG does she have a sensitive mouth. She hates the Kimberwick, she's never been in anything but a Tom Thumb, I was told. But she kept trying to break into a trot, so I'd get ready to post, but there wasn't anything to post to for at least 1/2 the arena, then she'd go back to a walk. The barn owner frowned and told me to speed her up again - I did, she trotted for about 2 steps, lowered her head and all jolting stopped, I pushed a little harder and she began cantering - like silk. I was so confused I didn't have time to get nervous about the canter, and it was so smooth that it wasn't frightening in the least.

We stopped after a couple of turns around the arena. Terri laughs and says "Well, you have a gaited horse!" She said the intial gait out of her walk looked like a speed walk, 3 feet on the ground, and the one where Alee dipped her head was like a TWH gait. I understand now why they're so popular.

I took her around a few more times. I really enjoyed myself - she's a great horse to ride, and already shows signs of softening towards her new situation. Riding her was a blast.

While I was busy walking on air, I forgot my camera at the barn, but pictures tomorrow, I promise!

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!