Transplanting Chinese Cabbage

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

When I was starting seeds for Broccoli/Cauliflower/Cabbage, I also did one flat of Chinese Cabbage thinking it was handled the same way. But then I was reading a seed starting book that said they don't like being transplanted and usually are direct seeded. They were started about 3 weeks ago indoors under fluorescent lights. The plants are 2-3" tall, look good and most have 3-4 true leaves. They're in regular seed starting mix in a divided flat, not peat pots :(

So I'm debating whether to plant them out immediately and see whether they'll take or give them a few more weeks. The weather here is probably ok for them now.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has tried this before and if it was successful, and what size the plants were.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have transplanted Michihli with no problems. Treated like early cabbage (non frost proof) 3 -4 inch plants.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Same as F-dill...I wouldn't worry too much about transplanting them, they'll be fine. As usual, don't let them get overly potbound.

Farmerdill, I'm not familiar with Rome, Ga...maybe you could suggest a plant-out date for jkehl?

Shoe.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Neither am I , Shoe. It is in the North Georgia mountains, but not too far north of Atlanta. I would suspect that the climate would be be more akin to yours than to mine. I would suggest setting on or around the average last frost date., which for me is April 1, but will be later in North Georgia.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 2:53 PM

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Sorry folks, my post got mixed up in my mind with the rhubarb post.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the replies. This helps a lot. The kind I planted is also 'Michihli'. I did not realize I needed to wait to put them out until the frost-free date. Just kind of lumped them in with the other Cabbages. I'll wait until they're starting to look root bound and put them out. I can keep them mulched and covered with plastic if we're going to get a freeze after that.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Just an update. Wanted to let you guys know that the Chinese cabagges transplanted fine. Been outside a couple weeks now and they're pretty happy. They've even been hit by a couple of cold snaps and are doing fine.

Thumbnail by jkehl
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the update, Jeff.

And yep, they look great! Nice and green, growing right along.

Now, whatcha gonna do w/them when you harvest? Steam 'em? Eat raw? Make kimchee? (yummy!)

Shoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.